Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
</images/rt3.gif>   It is rarely a good sign when you can't tell if an album is on or not. From British indie-guitar mumbling to completely innocuous songwriting, Coldplay's Parachutes is an unhealthy sign of a musical subculture that is mired far too deep into its own anonymity. Yes, this is an album that -- aside everything else -- refuses to acknowledge it is even alive. The problem might be in the marketing aspect of the band. If Embrace was a competing label's answer to Oasis, Coldplay seems to be another label's answer to Travis. This time the response is to try and manufacture an album that is so riddled with even more indie-by-number blandness that it will be nearly impossible for any potential record buyer to be offended, because Parachutes is an album in love with the ordinary. The closest the album ever comes to anything interesting is on "Shiver" -- a wafer-thin mimicry of Ned's Atomic Dustbin that at least implies that the band can do well when they play around with usual verse-chorus-verse structures. Still, other than that, the album is bare of anything else very noteworthy. The core single "Yellow" sets up an interesting premise with rolling guitar riffs and vocal cracks, yet goes absolutely nowhere with any of it. Also, closer "Everything's Not Lost" (despite at times sounding like a Randy Newman throwaway) has a wistful atmosphere about it that feels like an epilogue to an event that never happened. Even the better songs prove that there is a large failure to peak on this album. This is a traditional case of wasted opportunity. Everything is just so determinedly middle-of-the-road, one can only picture a dotted yellow line while listening to it.<P>-- Dean Carlson<br>
despite my natural prejudice of americans, i think he's fair enough. i've listened to the album many times (my girlfriend is nuts about them - she went to see them in manchester on friday) and all they seem to do is whine. nothing personal at all, i just prefer more upbeat stuff, like, err, chaka demus and pliers.
I would love to agree or disagree but i didn't really have a clue what mr bob's discourse was about. <br>Please can you use big fonts next time as well as words that are prevailent in my spot the dog document collection.<br>cheers
well dean can take a Guns and roses albumn, there all crap so it doesn't matter which one because their all crap. The i want him to count all the guitar riffs. 1,2,3,4........1,2,3,4<br>dean, when youve counted them write them on a peice of paper. Seal it up in an envelope , whack a stamp on it and send it<P>ivor headache,<br>yawn meadows,<br>american **** city,<br>i voted in a hick as president state,<br>G0GET ALIFE
By 4reallikesboysinmakeup
i ****ING DESPISE shity bands like coldplay. I hate all bands that try to write depressing/negative lyrics but fail miserably because they cant stop doing pathetic fallacy 'why does it always rain on me' COZ YOU LIVE IN A RAINY COUNTRY YOUR STUPID PRICK. I HATE BANDS THAT LOOK LIKE UGLY ROADIES. ITS NOT COOL TO DRESS DOWN, MAKE AN EFFORT. <br>****S<br>
By 4reallikesboysinmakeup
i ****ING DESPISE shity bands like coldplay. I hate all bands that try to write depressing/negative lyrics but fail miserably because they cant stop doing pathetic fallacy 'why does it always rain on me' COZ YOU LIVE IN A RAINY COUNTRY YOU( )STUPID PRICK. I HATE BANDS THAT LOOK LIKE UGLY ROADIES. ITS NOT COOL TO DRESS DOWN, MAKE AN EFFORT. <br>****S<br>
By Guest
4real is right. <P>Blink 182 are shite luv, and Dido, and Pink.  But thats my opinion.  <P>Starsailor have to be the worst of that genre, possibly because they are the only band of that genre I have had to see live (belive me i'm never doing it again) and that was only coz I went to the NME tour to see Amen.  Oh Alfie and JJ72 were pretty shite too.
By 4321real
hey, i went there. JJ72 rule. Amen are shite.....specially when he says 'this is for all teh churches in NOrwich, and how i wish they would all burn down. ****. Mosh pits full of 11 year old kids who are actually scared of him. Burn your stupid hoodies and your crappy chains.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]