The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By bmstinton93
Just announced that Grimmy is stepping down from the Radio One breakfast show this autumn and Greg will be taking his place. Grimmy is taking over Greg's show
By Kylerickards1974
bmstinton93 wrote:Just announced that Grimmy is stepping down from the Radio One breakfast show this autumn and Greg will be taking his place. Grimmy is taking over Greg's show

So the record for longest breakfast show host is still Chris, not bad going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By VMPhil
No offence to Grimmy but I was starting to worry that he'd beat Chris' record on the breakfast show, so for that I'm a little happy he's leaving! I did used to listen to his evening show before he moved to breakfast.
By Nicola_Red
Interesting. I just don't see Grimmy working in that 4-7 timeslot at all - but we'll see!
By Evs
Wonder if they feel, in hindsight, they should have done the same with Mills and Moyles at about the same point in his tenure.
By obidankenobi
Thats big news! I was convinced that Radio 1 were trying to remove all traces of Moyles by having Nick beat his 8 year record... which I thought explained why he has stayed on despite low ratings. Well, I guess that could still be true, but Nick decided to step down instead!
By fish heads
Nicola_Red wrote:Interesting. I just don't see Grimmy working in that 4-7 timeslot at all - but we'll see!

I remember him covering for Greg on drive when they were in retrospect priming him for Breakfast and thinking the same thing. I think he's grown massively as a presenter since then. Whereas Greg may take some drive stuff to Breakfast, for Grimmy it'll be a clean slate and I think he'll adapt well
By d000hg
I quite liked Nick on his evening show but not for breakfast, though partly that's the music. Greg seems like a natural for breakfast.
By Everley
d000hg wrote:I test link quite liked Nick on his evening show but not for breakfast, though partly that's the music. Greg seems like a natural for breakfast.

I actually don't mind Nick for breakfast, but I can see your point, d000hg. That's Greg's domain for sure.
Last edited by Everley on Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Longview01
thank god, can finally tune Radio 1 back in for the mornings
By orioncarl
Nicola_Red wrote:Interesting. I just don't see Grimmy working in that 4-7 timeslot at all - but we'll see!
Why would they even give him another day slot,matt edmondson is so much better for day time

Sent from my CUBOT_X18_Plus using Tapatalk
By Nicola_Red
Yeah, I do think Matt Edmonson is a very talented broadcaster, he would have been great in that 4-7 slot. Perhaps as he's got a youngish baby he wouldn't wanna commit to that amount of time. I'm still not sure how I feel about him being paired up with Mollie King on a permanent basis, I am warming to her but he was great on his own. Jordan North has been standing in for him the past couple of weekends and I think I prefer Jordan and Mollie together.
By Nicola_Red
Yep. I'm ancient by R1 listener standards these days. But I refuse to give in and make the switch to R2 :)

I listened to the last hour of Grimmy's final breakfast show today. It made me think back to Moyles' final show so it was a bit emotional. He isn't leaving the station though, so it wasn't quite the same.
By Comedy John
Tina Daheley also left the Radio 1 Breakfast Show today after 8 and a half years on it. She was just a few months away from being on the breakfast show for longer than Chris was. Nick Grimshaw starts on the 4pm show on 3rd September and they haven't announced yet what day Greg James starts on the breakfast show it could be on the same day.
By Nicola_Red
Greg announced his start date this morning - 20 Aug.
By bmstinton93
Any announcement on who is going to be doing the news? I see Tina and Chris Smith both appear to be moving on? Can we assume it will be Steffan Powell? If so, it could be good.
By Nicola_Red
Roisin Hastie apparently. Can't really think what she sounds like, so evidently not much personality on-air as yet. What's Tina doing, has she followed Grimmy to drivetime?
By Trigger
(Cheesy Blackburn smile) Y'know back in 2004 people would make jokes about Moyles being a regular customer at a well known pasty shop.

Lets just hope he doesn't confuse his former workplace with that food place cos he's done very well getting into shape and still has to KEEP being in shape.

Good luck Gregg's!

Such a lovely boy.
By bmstinton93
Nicola_Red wrote:Roisin Hastie apparently. Can't really think what she sounds like, so evidently not much personality on-air as yet. What's Tina doing, has she followed Grimmy to drivetime?

Never heard of her. Seems strange that neither Chris Smith or Steffan Powell got the gig.

I can only assume Tina is going in to do more TV work.
By G-Sizzle
bmstinton93 wrote:Never heard of her. Seems strange that neither Chris Smith or Steffan Powell got the gig.

I can only assume Tina is going in to do more TV work.

It is strange. Greg used to bounce quite well with Chris Smith. Can only assume the zoo format won’t be used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By neilt0
Inside The New BBC "Radio 1 Breakfast Show" With Greg James

https://www.buzzfeed.com/scottybryan/gr ... -interview

In fact, Greg's previous show was known for driving listener interaction to, quite frankly, absurd levels. His last stunt, shortly before leaving the drive time slot, featured him and Nick Grimshaw playing the "biggest game of hide and seek." They went to a secret location and gave subtle on-air clues to find them. Texts from listeners went into overdrive. Reddit threads were created in a bid to work it out. Other Radio 1 staff didn't know where they were. There were conspiracy theories. Not even Greg's fiancé, Bella, had a clue where he was. With Greg and Nick's commitment to carry on until they were found, the game lasted more than 22 hours, with time for a kip in the middle. It was eventually revealed that they'd been hunkering down in the Liver Building in Liverpool all along. The timing of the stunt was not coincidental. The scale of the audience interaction then is a sign of what's to come with this new show, even if it is unpredictable as hell to produce.
By Nicola_Red
I believe Chris Smith has decided to go off air and work behind the scenes at Newsbeat.

I listened to some of Greg's new show today, I do like him as a presenter and his genuine enthusiasm for the station and show is really nice to hear. But by 8.30am he basically had listeners prank calling random people under the guise of 'guessing Calvin Harris' number' and I started getting irritated with him. I'll never enjoy prank calling whoever does it, but I was hoping he might have some more original ideas. Oh well, we'll see how it progresses.
By Trigger
The radio 1 bubble is far too constrained - like a club. Like Labour under Corbyn, how else do you explain Scott bloody Mills 'Alright Grandad!' It should be more of a broad church. I wonder how long it would take to separate the two styles - Grimmy and Gregg apart? I can't imagine the show being that different really. For example - Is it still being called 'The Radio 1 Breakfast Show' and are DJs still forced to bark 'This is Radio 1' every 5 seconds? But I'm sure Nic will keep us updated. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing the debate about how much control Greg might have, is he as ambitious as Moyles? Will he tighten his grip and will ratings be paramount? Will Gregg grow conkers the size of Easter eggs and tell management to stick it?

The Grimster (Ginster) tended to just plod along during his 6 years before fizzling out. But the Greggster may have more attitude and rediscover some 'fun'. I'm not a listener of his so it's just guesswork.

Moyles kept the pies at bay during and after his tenure, when Gregg was announced as the heir to the throne Moyles did speak about how going straight to radio 2 wasn't an option, he didn't want to be 'weeing in a bag'. Yes Moyles really is 'Health HQ' these days and the fitness DVD cannot be far off surely. I'd buy it, cos too many pies is bad and I'm getting a chin.

I suspect Radio 1 is now pie central, and Gregg's truly is taking over the radio world then at least for now we can be sure that management will be keeping tabs on him til he proves himself. Moyles need never prove himself and I'm pleased that he has freedom. Pays the mortgage and all that shizz. Mills however will need to clear all his cobwebs away in time for Grimster (Ginster) as he rolls in after his much deserved lie in.

KitKat > Twix
Greggs > Ginsters

Oh and I've just by chance found out that Moyles played Roachford this morning - Brilliant!!

Thank you both!!