The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Damage is done for me, perhaps not necessarily Chris' fault... The previous era prided itself on being the biggest and best, which meant you could really swing your balls, feel like you are connecting with millions of people, rather than the 1623 that actually bother with X.
ritchie wrote:Damage is done for me, perhaps not necessarily Chris' fault... The previous era prided itself on being the biggest and best, which meant you could really swing your balls, feel like you are connecting with millions of people, rather than the 1623 that actually bother with X.

It'll be interesting to see how the new producer fits in. especially coming from Heart (a station which Chris has taken the piss out of in the past). As long as the poo jokes and forced laughter are gone, I'll be happy again. I'm prepared to try again.

Something clicked whilst listening to another station the other day, one of the reasons I listened to Moyles was that the show was about him and the team now, what they were doing in their lives, and I felt part of the crowd, even though I was listening on a radio hundreds of miles away. he even said in his leaving announcement "It's all about me". Now it isn't. It's forced comedy. One thing I loved would be a team member or indeed Chris saying "I'm off to *insert place here* tonight". Then there would be a discussion about that. Then the next day, I tuned in to find out how that particular event went. Or them discussing something as normal as buying takeaway or phoning customer help and being on hold for 45 minutes. Something we ALL do and can relate too day to day.

The Chris Moyles show is no longer about Chris Moyles. Its a generic global radio show with Chris Moyles hosting it.
Misfit wrote:
ritchie wrote:Damage is done for me, perhaps not necessarily Chris' fault... The previous era prided itself on being the biggest and best, which meant you could really swing your balls, feel like you are connecting with millions of people, rather than the 1623 that actually bother with X.

It'll be interesting to see how the new producer fits in. especially coming from Heart (a station which Chris has taken the piss out of in the past). As long as the poo jokes and forced laughter are gone, I'll be happy again. I'm prepared to try again.

Something clicked whilst listening to another station the other day, one of the reasons I listened to Moyles was that the show was about him and the team now, what they were doing in their lives, and I felt part of the crowd, even though I was listening on a radio hundreds of miles away. he even said in his leaving announcement "It's all about me". Now it isn't. It's forced comedy. One thing I loved would be a team member or indeed Chris saying "I'm off to *insert place here* tonight". Then there would be a discussion about that. Then the next day, I tuned in to find out how that particular event went. Or them discussing something as normal as buying takeaway or phoning customer help and being on hold for 45 minutes. Something we ALL do and can relate too day to day.

The Chris Moyles show is no longer about Chris Moyles. Its a generic global radio show with Chris Moyles hosting it.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume your signature is a witty use of irony now?
There are pros and cons to the new show but I listen to every one, so it's definitely entertaining enough for me to keep doing so.

While we're moaning, one thing that I can't listen to is the ass-kissing celebrity interviews.

The Kevin Bacon one was the worst. Nothing but ball washing for half an hour.
If I wanted to know Bacon's life history and a list of his films, I'd read Wikipedia and IMDb.

Just awful. That's not what was done in the R1 era, not even by Dom. Just have a chat, FFS.
Misfit wrote:
ritchie wrote:Something clicked whilst listening to another station the other day, one of the reasons I listened to Moyles was that the show was about him and the team now, what they were doing in their lives, and I felt part of the crowd, even though I was listening on a radio hundreds of miles away. he even said in his leaving announcement "It's all about me". Now it isn't. It's forced comedy. One thing I loved would be a team member or indeed Chris saying "I'm off to *insert place here* tonight". Then there would be a discussion about that. Then the next day, I tuned in to find out how that particular event went. Or them discussing something as normal as buying takeaway or phoning customer help and being on hold for 45 minutes. Something we ALL do and can relate too day to day.

Yes, I completely agree - this is something I also picked up on recently and mentioned in my previous post. It's no longer about the team & getting to know about their lives, but instead its just a show trying to be funny.. and which sadly to me, often isn't. My listening has gone from 'as much as I can every show' to 'maybe once a week for an hour or so if I think of it and aren't listening to something else'.. that never would have happened before and it makes me sad!
JayE wrote:
Misfit wrote:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume your signature is a witty use of irony now?

more laziness and not changing it
Frothy Bevvy wrote:Is audio producer Matt away at the moment or has he just been ditched from his on-air seat warming role?

He was on air today (on holiday last week).
Misfit wrote:Contrary to everything I've said in the past week

I cried laughing at the heart geekiness this morning

This is some of the funniest stuff they do. Putting the kibosh on taking the piss out of Toby Anstiss was very disappointing.
Ditto with Pippa's dates. I'm not sure if the recent Italian chappy counts, but that was Radio Gold!
I've been reading these posts with more and more sadness as we are his / there biggest fans and yet people on here are starting to say they don't like the way the show is now.
Personally I still like it. I won't deny they have off days but such is life.
I like how they just chat and that Chris now has a chance to educate in terms of music. There have been many songs and facts told that I never knew.
I will not deny my annoyance at the social media figures and chart positions though.
As for one among us (I can't remember who) that calls it "Dad music", How is it? They play older music and new music. It's a station I like because of the mixture of decades. I HATE that It has to play ads though.
After really quite enjoying the theme tunes with Andi Peters yesterday, today for the first time I actually switched off when I heard that Chris had tweeted on Dom's behalf - as per last week. I could see where it was heading (RT/Like this blah blah) so I gave up.

To me the show is beginning to smack of Top Gear in the couple of series before Clarkson smacked his producer. It was once cutting edge and consistently funny, but the formula hasn't really changed too much over time, appears too scripted and the jokes, of which there are fewer now, are more laboured and wearing thin. We also listen out of loyalty more than expectations of greatness, even though there are still crumbs of it there.

We're all older so perhaps we're more set in our ways and intolerant when we don't like something. I was delighted when I heard the show was coming back but perhaps my expectations were unrealistic. I'm not 20, he's not 30. We've moved on, as has the world. Maybe some of us (myself included) need to look elsewhere for our morning laughs.
I liked the pitching to Radio X boss with weekend show ideas. They're bringing in more people maybe just because of one less person on the show right now but I do like it.

I'm still enjoying the show, this week has been good.
Latest RAJAR listening figures released this week are starting to become a real concern. Down again in London and underperforming a number of previous xfm breakfast shows, plus significantly below JV's drivetime audience. Otherwise stagnant in the rest of the UK.

Chris also started Monday's show saying he needed to "get out". I do worry this could be the beginning of the end.
I heard part of Thursday's open and Chris seemed unhappy at the lack of investment in advertising the show and the station to the masses. He put over how much he's doing with FB Live and such; I guess Radio X figured Chris' influence alone would sway people to the station, not accounting for a three year absence in which very little happened in the middle. I know the team loved the 'freedom' commercial radio gave them in comparison to the BBC but -except for LBC- BBC radio is where things actually matter. There's a credibility on a BBC station which just doesn't exist in the commercial world.

At this point, Chris should probably just do what he seems to want to do - move to America, get a job on Sirius XM and do a weekly podcast. Let's face it - the podcast intros are the best thing he does these days anyway.
obidankenobi wrote:Oh dear, thats not good. Did anyone listen to the show the day they came out & if so did the team mention the results?

Yeah and in fairness to Chris he's always talked about figures albeit it was the usual thing about the RAJARs methodology and focused more on the good part of the figures. He did mention about how the show 'makes money' and he could have 5m listeners but it'd be no use if they weren't generating money of the back of them. There was also a mention about the lack of advertising by Global the last campaign being the barber's one (with two of the presenters who aren't even there anymore!).

I agree though with Frothy Bevvy the best word I can think of to describe the ratings (and maybe the show itself) is stagnant. In terms of whether Vaughan could do a better job at breakfast who knows but I increasingly wonder if that's what's going to happen.

Thank you both!!