Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By Aled
bwfcol wrote:Listening to the team play the Hackney Dash is pretty dull I'm afraid in my opinion.

I much prefer a Dave game/quiz/sweepstake or random chat!

Again, I'm nit picking, the shows have been very funny this week, great 6:30 links.

Good to know
By Aled
hdsport82 wrote:
Aled wrote:
hdsport82 wrote:I didn't hear all the show today as I had a very early meeting at work but heard the bit when they are talking about text messages and whether it comes out of your contracted 'bundle and from what I heard at no point did anyone mention that there was a 07 number as well as the 81199.

It always used to be 07786 201111 I wonder just how many (if any at all) texts R1 gets from this alternate number? I don't even know if it still works. I thought about using it now the mobile site has lost it's free messaging feature.

Keep the message simple. One phone number, one website, one text number

Even when it costs the listener more? I understand it's easier to get a simple short text number out there. It may just be me (and of course this not aimed at you as an individual) but it seems 'a bit off' for a public service broadcaster to have hidden numbers which could save people money. At least it used to be in the 'small print' on the website but it's not even there anymore!

Anyway I realise this won't change and is 'out of your hands' but do you know if the free message option from the mobile site is ever going to come back which gave people a (potentially) 'free' alternative without going through a third party like Facebook/Twitter?

I'm not sure it's the BBC's responsibility to create an alternative to a third party social media. We have third party free alternative ways to contact the studio. I think it's great we've build a way to accommodate that. That now mean you don't HAVE to pay to text us. I honestly think that's enough
Aled wrote:
hdsport82 wrote:I'm not sure it's the BBC's responsibility to create an alternative to a third party social media. We have third party free alternative ways to contact the studio. I think it's great we've build a way to accommodate that. That now mean you don't HAVE to pay to text us. I honestly think that's enough

Ok I personally disagree because some people may have concerns (around privacy etc.) about using commercial organisations like Facebook/Twitter to communicate with the BBC. It's not like the website message function is something new, the option was there and was taken away. I recognise most people probably don't care about Facebook et al having all their details to use for profit etc. so existing methods may seem sufficient for the BBC.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply as always :D
jamiec21 wrote:
slaphead1982 wrote:Is it me or is there just too many people on here at the minute spouting random guff about money?

Not wishing to make a generalisation, but people who whinge about the licence fee and stupid, minor gripes about features which are virtually irrelevant are, to put it mildly, thick as pigshit. I genuinely feel for people at the BBC who's job it is to respond to people like that, they must have the patience of a saint. I couldn't do it, I honestly couldn't.

Same. I wouldn't last a day without saying "I'm sorry, but there has been a long process that this has come from - we won't be releasing the details of it to you as it is private to the BBC, regardless of how much you pay the license fee. Please trust in people's ability to do their jobs to the best of their ability."

hdsport82 wrote:Anyway I realise this won't change and is 'out of your hands' but do you know if the free message option from the mobile site is ever going to come back which gave people a (potentially) 'free' alternative without going through a third party like Facebook/Twitter?

I've just gone to the 'send a message' on the mobile app.

hdsport82 wrote:Ok I personally disagree because some people may have concerns (around privacy etc.) about using commercial organisations like Facebook/Twitter to communicate with the BBC. It's not like the website message function is something new, the option was there and was taken away. I recognise most people probably don't care about Facebook et al having all their details to use for profit etc. so existing methods may seem sufficient for the BBC.

I always think that people who have concerns about their privacy when using social media are absolutely ridiculous. It's basically saying that they can't be bothered to learn how to control what information gets send to who, so the social network that they're on should read their mind and know what should to go whom.

"I'm concerned about driving my car for the first time, because I don't know how anything works and I might hurt myself"

"Sir, do you know how to drive your car?"

"Well kind of, but it's your responsibility to keep me safe."

or

"Officer, That man has just taken a naked picture of me without my consent"

"Madam, you do realise that you're naked in public right now"

"Well that's besides the point, It shouldn't matter if I'm showing things to the public or not - they shouldn't be looking"

And as for them making money from your details, a) you click AGREE to the terms & conditions - or you just don't sign up, b) you don't pay a fee to use these sites c) you don't have to put in your real details if you're just going to use the site in order to communicate with BBC R1. Perhaps paying for a message to be sent might not be the worst thing in the world if you're concerned about your privacy/corporate greed. Setting up, and maintaining a high level social network is EXPENSIVE and if it flopped (or had a low intake like Google Plus) then the BBC would be crucified for unnecessary spend, in a time when there are viable FREE alternatives out there.

/rant
Last edited by chrysostom on Thu May 24, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morning Al, due to being in Spain for a week i'm frantically catching up with missed shows from last week, have now listened to the competition from last week, with the 3 contestants coming down to the studio.

With that in mind, I'd like to add my own jingle offering which I came up with in the car whilst listening this morning:

I'm off to Radio 1 today to do the show with Chris,
Also in the studio is Dave who stinks of.... (Pause while everyone assumes next word is piss) Lynx.

Al's thighs are great and Tina's rack is really rather splendid,
Its only Dominics follicles which cannot be commended....

The Chris Moyles Show, with DimTim live in Torbay, international Wadio Won.
Aled, I'm not sure how aware you are of the extensive archive on this site of hundreds of edited shows throughout the years but personally I think it is brilliant, and I'm sure others would agree. The work put into it, particularly by ianpwilliams who edits and uploads the show for us every day as well as editing old shows down is just amazing and would be great to hear some sort of mention of it on the show.
bmstinton93 wrote:They've mentioned the Sound Vault many a time. Surely that's all BBC content as well?

I'd imagine the sound vault comes a lot closer to 'fair use' than the archives, especially as some are available unedited with all the music left in-tact.
chrysostom wrote:
Same. I wouldn't last a day without saying "I'm sorry, but there has been a long process that this has come from - we won't be releasing the details of it to you as it is private to the BBC, regardless of how much you pay the license fee. Please trust in people's ability to do their jobs to the best of their ability."

hdsport82 wrote:Anyway I realise this won't change and is 'out of your hands' but do you know if the free message option from the mobile site is ever going to come back which gave people a (potentially) 'free' alternative without going through a third party like Facebook/Twitter?

I've just gone to the 'send a message' on the mobile app.

hdsport82 wrote:Ok I personally disagree because some people may have concerns (around privacy etc.) about using commercial organisations like Facebook/Twitter to communicate with the BBC. It's not like the website message function is something new, the option was there and was taken away. I recognise most people probably don't care about Facebook et al having all their details to use for profit etc. so existing methods may seem sufficient for the BBC.

I always think that people who have concerns about their privacy when using social media are absolutely ridiculous. It's basically saying that they can't be bothered to learn how to control what information gets send to who, so the social network that they're on should read their mind and know what should to go whom.

"I'm concerned about driving my car for the first time, because I don't know how anything works and I might hurt myself"

"Sir, do you know how to drive your car?"

"Well kind of, but it's your responsibility to keep me safe."

or

"Officer, That man has just taken a naked picture of me without my consent"

"Madam, you do realise that you're naked in public right now"

"Well that's besides the point, It shouldn't matter if I'm showing things to the public or not - they shouldn't be looking"

And as for them making money from your details, a) you click AGREE to the terms & conditions - or you just don't sign up, b) you don't pay a fee to use these sites c) you don't have to put in your real details if you're just going to use the site in order to communicate with BBC R1. Perhaps paying for a message to be sent might not be the worst thing in the world if you're concerned about your privacy/corporate greed. Setting up, and maintaining a high level social network is EXPENSIVE and if it flopped (or had a low intake like Google Plus) then the BBC would be crucified for unnecessary spend, in a time when there are viable FREE alternatives out there.

/rant

Ok well firstly, thank you for showing me where the option is still available I hadn't clicked the low graphics version. If you go to the main version of the mobile site. The option is gone (see below). It does make me wonder why they don't just leave the option there on the normal mobile site.

I agree people should be responsible about what they sign up to (and then the privacy settings if they do) I just liked the free message application, I have unlimited data on my phone contract and don't like spending anymore on my phone bill than I have to.

I never said it was the most important thing in the world and don't normally complain about the licence fee etc. for instance unlike the Daily Mail I recognise that covering Glastonbury needs more than a couple of guys with camcorders! It's just that the BBC had the facility in place to give people a free alternative way to contact them without going through commercial third party (so it's not like I was asking them to create a entire social network!) and considering the amount of airtime Chris had spent promoting it to then bin it seemed ridiculous. Anyway as it seems to be on the low graphics version that gives me an option.
By Aled
Alright, in which case I should probably respectfully give you the proper reason. The free messaging option became a problem because it allows people to send messages through to the studio without consequence - if you think of the standard of messages on Twitter you can imagine how bad it is when there's no profile attached. Think about The Surgery and the kind of sensitive messages we get or with so many high profile events coming up the kind of messages we could get and we realised that it's not the most helpful feature.
Aled wrote:Alright, in which case I should probably respectfully give you the proper option. The free messaging option became a problem because it allows people to send messages through to the studio without consequence - if you think of the standard of messages on Twitter you can imagine how bad it is when there's no profile attached. Think about The Surgery and the kind of sensitive messages we get or with so many high profile events coming up the kind of messages we could get and we realised that it's not the most helpful feature.

I recognise that is always an issue but wasn't that then resolved with the BBCid which despite the lack of the free messaging is still used on the Radio 1 site for your favourite DJs etc?

Anyway as I said earlier I do appreciate the reply and can understand why it may cause issues just think it was a really good feature.
hdsport82 wrote:I recognise that is always an issue but wasn't that then resolved with the BBCid which despite the lack of the free messaging is still used on the Radio 1 site for your favourite DJs etc?

Anyway as I said earlier I do appreciate the reply and can understand why it may cause issues just think it was a really good feature.

I think the problem is there that the BBC iD system doesn't currently play very well with smartphones, I don't think there's a mobile-optimised version available yet.
chrysostom wrote:Are they allowed to plug a site which makes BBC content available to download permanently without formal approval?

Our leader Mr Harris has appeared on the show. If that's not plugging, I dunno what is!
Will the show be making any reference to Big Brother which starts next week? I used to like it when you were known as BB Aled and covered the evictees press conference. Maybe now that Davina no longer presents the main show and it's moved to channel 5 Chris has lost interest in it. Do you still like watching it?
By Aled
itbe_Tyler wrote:Eveeeeeninnnnng. Aled are you able to give any clues as to locations for your 'Torch Cam Tour' in the future, or if any of the shows will feature live audiences?

No live audiences I'm afraid. We have a handful of torch tour shows to come, but it's about balancing the torch tour, Euro's, Hackney Academy, Hackney Weekend and the Olympics before our next holidays in August.

Busy busy times.
By Aled
chrisjames wrote:Will the show be making any reference to Big Brother which starts next week? I used to like it when you were known as BB Aled and covered the evictees press conference. Maybe now that Davina no longer presents the main show and it's moved to channel 5 Chris has lost interest in it. Do you still like watching it?

No, no references.

I might still watch it, but to be honest I could never devote that amount of time to any tv show anymore. There's enough coming up on the show without the need to talk regularly about a Channel 5 show as well!
By Aled
bmstinton93 wrote:Aled, I'm not sure how aware you are of the extensive archive on this site of hundreds of edited shows throughout the years but personally I think it is brilliant, and I'm sure others would agree. The work put into it, particularly by ianpwilliams who edits and uploads the show for us every day as well as editing old shows down is just amazing and would be great to hear some sort of mention of it on the show.

As has been highlighted already we could never condone large scale copying of copyrighted material on a third party site by promoting it on the very network it's copied from :)
Aled wrote:
bmstinton93 wrote:Aled, I'm not sure how aware you are of the extensive archive on this site of hundreds of edited shows throughout the years but personally I think it is brilliant, and I'm sure others would agree. The work put into it, particularly by ianpwilliams who edits and uploads the show for us every day as well as editing old shows down is just amazing and would be great to hear some sort of mention of it on the show.

As has been highlighted already we could never condone large scale copying of copyrighted material on a third party site by promoting it on the very network it's copied from :)

haha okay fair enough answer. Thanks for that. :)