Transcripts of Dave's Tedious Links
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Sisqo, Thong Song

Today's Transcript:

If you actually had a third eye that was blind, you'd probably be referred to as being partially sighted, or a visually impaired triclops. A triclops shouldn't be mistaken for a triceratops, which is one of the most famous of all the dinosaurs. Dinosaurs lived on the earth millions of years ago, before the Romans or ancient Greeks, during the sort of caveman jurassic period. Jurassic 5 are an American hip-hop outfit who are best known for their brilliant track 'Concrete Schoolyard'. A concrete schoolyard is what a lot of schools have, which means that if you fall over when you're playing football, you end up skinning your knee. Your knee is just one of the body parts referred to, and pointed at, during a performance of the song 'Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes', along with your toes, head and shoulders. 'Head' and 'shoulders' are two words that you might associate with shampoo, while Shampoo were a short-lived 90s girl band who had one hit entitled 'Trouble'. 'Trouble' was also the title of a track by the band Coldplay, and it was Coldplay's 'Talk' which provided the stumbling block during yesterday's attempt by us to give away the Brits tickets. Tickets are what you need to fly first class around the world if you're a big star like Andi Peters or Sisqo, and Sisqo is probably best known for his recent appearance on 'Celebrity Big Brother' and his hit 'Thong Song', which links to Sisqo and 'Thong Song'.

Flaws:

Shampoo actually had four top 40 hits, although 'Trouble' was their biggest.

Tedious Facts:

Released - April 2000

Highest UK Chart Position - #3

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Jane's Addiction, Just Because

Today's Transcript:

Thongs, to most people, are like pants that have a sort of shoestring construction at the back, except in Australia where thongs, confusingly, are what they call flip-flops. Flip-flops are popular throughout most of Asia, where they are worn on the feet. Feet is an imperial unit of measurement, used to measure distance, depth and height, which means that it's important in the world of aviation, long-jump and submarines. Submarines are what they used a lot of in the Second World War for sneaking up on enemy ships, and these were known as U-Boats. 'Boats' rhymes with 'stoats', which are a small rodenty animal not dissimilar to a squirrel or weasel. If you remove the first letter of the word 'weasel' you're left with 'easel', which is like a stand that painters use to rest their canvas on when they're painting. Painting is what my Grandad was famous for, except that he tended to do walls, ceilings and fences and stuff, rather than watercolours and landscapes. Landscapes are what Constable used to paint. 'Paint' rhymes with 'faint', which is what can happen to you if you get too hot. Fainting is something that nobody really understands, and if you asked a doctor why you fainted they would probably say "I don't know, just because", which links to Jane's Addiction and 'Just Because'.

Flaws:

Several mistakes today. Only German submarines were known as U-Boats; stoats are not rodents at all, but are part of the Mustelidae family; and fainting is usually caused by insufficient oxygen in the brain either through cerebral hypoxia or through hypotension, and is actually fairly well understood. There was also some argument about whether flip-flops are known as thongs in Australia, but Dave was actually correct on this.

Tedious Facts:

Released - July 2003

Highest UK Chart Position - #14

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Robbie Williams, Millennium

Today's Transcript:

Jane's Addiction are fronted by flamboyant rock Lord Perry Farrell, who shares the same first name as Perry Fenwick, the actor who plays Billy in 'Eastenders'. 'Eastenders' celebrates its quarter-century this year, meaning it was first screened on BBC1 25 years ago, in 1985. 1985 was also the year that Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia hosted the dual mega-concerts that were Live Aid, organised by Midge Ure and Sir Bob Geldof. Sir Bob Geldof is the father of Peaches Geldof, who has been interviewed by our Very own Fearne Cotton. Fearne Cotton was yesterday wearing shorts with tights, which in this wintry weather is something we don't fully understand. A full understanding is what you need to have if you're to class yourself as an expert. 'Ex-pert' is how you might describe your bum if it used to be firm but is now a bit saggy. If you insert an 'H' into the word 'saggy' you get 'Shaggy', who is a reggae star from the Caribbean whose hits include 'Mr Boombastic' and 'It Wasn't Me'. 'It wasn't me' is what you might say if you were in denial. The Nile is a large river in Africa which meets the sea in Egypt but probably starts miles away South of the border, and 'South Of The Border' was a hit for Robbie Williams, which links to Robbie Williams and 'Millennium'.

Flaws:

Seamless today.

Tedious Facts:

Released - September 1998

Highest UK Chart Position - #1

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Naughty By Nature, O.P.P.

Today's Transcript:

Robbie Williams oerformed a medley to celebrate winning the Outstanding Contribution award last night at the Brits, which were hosted by the brilliant Peter Kay. Peter Kay is from Bolton, like our very own Sara Cox, who is soon going to be a mummy again, but not like the ones you get in Egypt. Egypt is a nice place to go on holiday, as it's warm and has an array of interesting sights and landmarks to visit. Visit is what you're allowed to do only during certain hours if you've got loved ones or friends in hospital or prison. Prison is the setting for the classic film 'The Shawshank Redemption', which stars Morgan Freeman, who was in 'Evan Almighty' with Steve Carrell, who's in the American version of 'The Office'. 'The Office' was written by Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant. 'The Merchant of Venice' is the title of a well-known play by William Shakespeare, who was from Stratford-upon-Avon. The river Avon also flows through the city of Bristol, and flows underneath the Clifton suspension bridge. Bridge, first name Wayne, plays for Manchester City, who could meet John Terry's Chelsea in the next round of the Cup, which should be interesting. Interesting is how some people might describe the Grand Canyon in America, and America is where the hip-hop outfit Naughty By Nature are from, which links to Naughty By Nature and 'O.P.P.'.

Flaws:

Another watertight link.

Tedious Facts:

Released - June 1992

Highest UK Chart Position - #35

Dave last Linked to this track just five months ago, in September 2009.

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Strike, U Sure Do

Today's Transcript:

Nature is a common category in the world of quiz questions, and if you had a quiz team and nature came up as an option, you'd probably go for it if your team included David Attenborough. David Attenborough shares one name in common with David Dimbleby, David Beckham and David Guetta. David Guetta is from France, which means that at some point in his life he's probably eate snails. The word 'snail' shares many of the same letters as the word 'lions', which are universally regarded as being the kings of the jungle. 'Jungle' rhymes with 'bungle', which is a word used to describe criminals when they mess up something fairly simple, like a bank robbery. If you change the 'O' in 'robbery' for a 'U' you get 'rubbery', which is one way that you might describe calamari. Calamari is made from squid, and is popular throughout most of the Mediterranean, and in that respect shares something in common with pizza, olives and bread. Bread featured quite heavily in the Bible, as it was that that Jesus used to feed the five thousand. Five thousand miles is a long way, and probably like the distance to America, or somewhere, from Britain. America is the country that invented ten-pin bowling, and the best shot you can have in ten-pin bowling is a strike, which links to Strike and 'U Sure Do'.

Flaws:

America is in fact approximately 3000 miles from Britain. Also, there is evidence of tenpin bowling being played in Britain in 1810, before it was introduced to the US.

Tedious Facts:

Released - December 1994

Highest UK Chart Position - #4

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Shed Seven, Chasing Rainbows

Today's Transcript:

Strike is what the miners were forced to do in the 1980s. The 1980s were when Calvin Harris was born,and he's from Dumfries. Dumfries is united with Galloway, but not George Galloway, cos he's the MP bloke who dressed like a cat when he was in 'Big Brother'. Big Brother is the record label of the currently split Oasis. Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher thanked everybody but his brother Noel while collecting his Brit Award onstage at Earl's Court last week. A week is made up of seven days, while a weekend is made up of just two, except in this birthday scenario where it's about four or five. 5ive is the name of the boyband made up of Scott, Richie, Jay, Abs and that other bloke. 'Bloke' rhymes with 'joke', which is something you might play on someone as a surprise. A surprise is what Christopher Moyles had this morning when he woke up to find me in his bedroom, because we were doing the show live from his house to celebrate his birthday number 24 for the twelfth year running. Running is what Gary Barlow was doing on Chris' treadmill when we discovered him this morning. This morning some people have been inside the house and some people have been outside on the patio, where Chris has a very small shed. If you had seven sheds, all numbered and going from left to right, you'd probably call them 'shed one', 'shed two', 'shed three', 'shed four', 'shed five', 'shed six' and 'shed seven' , which links to Shed Seven and 'Chasing Rainbows'.

Flaws:

The fifth member of 5ive was Sean...but otherwise watertight.

Tedious Facts:

Released - November 1996

Highest UK Chart Position - #17

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Shapeshifters, Lola's Theme

Today's Transcript:

Rainbows are caused when sunlight shines through water droplets in the air, causing a spectrum of light to appear, like a prism in science. Science is a subject at school that often involves the wearing of safety goggles. Goggles of a different type are something that I bet Sharron Davis has got at least one pair of, cos she's dead good at swimming. Swimming with dolphins is something that people might pay to do while on holiday, and in that respect shares something in common with paragliding and water-skiing. Water-skiing is the method of transport that Christine Bleakley has opted for as she attempts to cross the Channel for Sport Relief. Relief is the feeling that we all feel in the studio today, now that the Chris Moyles birthday show is over for another year. If you swap the first letter of 'year' for a 'B' you get 'bear', as in Bear Grylls, who can survive in the most extreme physical conditions, cos he used to be in the army. 'In the Army Now' was a big hit years ago for Status Quo, who were the first band on stage at the legendary Live Aid concert in London back in 1985. 1985 was the year that saw the birth of Wayne Rooney, who must be disappointed that his side were beaten on Saturday at Goodison Park. 'Park' is a good example of a word that only has four letters, like 'dogs', 'hair', 'beef', 'shoe' and 'Lola', which links to Shapeshifters and 'Lola's Theme'.

Flaws:

Nothing to report today.

Tedious Facts:

Released - July 2004

This is Dave's second Link in just over a week to mention Live Aid.

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Stereophonics, Local Boy In The Photograph

Today's Transcript:

'Lola's Theme' got to number one in 2004, the same year that the Euros were held in Portugal, and won, surprisingly, by Greece. Greece is currently not doing very well, and might have to be bailed out financially by the rest of Europe. Europe is a continent, a bit like Asia and Africa. Asia and Africa are two places that can proudly boast to be home to elephants. Elephants have big ears and never forget. 'Never Forget' is the title of a classic song by Take That, written by Gary Barlow, who, very kindly, came along to Chris' house on Monday for the big birthday show, along with Kasabian, Andi Peters and James Corden. 'Cordon bleu', literally translated, means 'blue ribbon', and is the name of a world famous cookery school. School is where a lot of people first learn Welsh, which is the language of Wales. Wales, and more specifically North Wales, is where we are at the moment, and even more specifically in the region of Bangor. If you were a local boy from this part of the world and you had your photograph taken with someone famous, the local boy in the photograph would be you, which links to Stereophonics and 'Local Boy In The Photograph'.

Flaws:

Seamless link.

Tedious Facts:

Released - February 1998

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

A Tribe called Quest, Can I Kick It

Today's Transcript:

A photograph is what you take with a camera, and according to the famous saying, the camera never lies. 'Lies' was the title of the second album, released in 1988, by Guns N' Roses. Guns N' Roses are still fronted by Axl Rose, who is the original member left after he fell out with everybody. 'Everybody Hurts' is the title of the REM song covered by a selection of artists in order to raise money for the people of Haiti. Haiti is on the same Carribbean island as the Dominican Republic. Republica was the name of the mid-90s band fronted by a lady called Saffron who had hits including 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' and 'Ready To Go'. 'Ready to go' is something your wife, girlfriend or mother is unlikely to say before you as you prepare to leave the house. 'House' is the title of the highly successful US series starring British actor Hugh Laurie, who used to be the foppish of the brilliant Stephen Fry. Fry is one way of cooking fish fingers, with the others being oven bake or grill, under a medium heat for about 15-20 minutes. If you don't want to burn your fingers when handling fish fingers you could use a pair of tongs. The singular form of 'tongs' is 'tong', as in Pete Tong, who's the first voice you hear at the start of the classic track 'Can I Kick It', which links to A Tribe Called Quest and 'Can I Kick It'.

Chris: It might not. I'm not sure Dave. We might have a different version.
Track begins to play...
Chris: That's not Pete Tong.
Dave: Nope.
Chris: I mean he is...he does sound like that, but that's not him.
Dave: Yep...
Chris: See, now we're alright. We're cooking with gas now.
Dave: Welcome to the weekend!
Chris: Has this been checked, Aled, this version?
Aled (in background): Hang on! Hang on!
Chris: What? What?
Dave: Essential selection...
Chris: Ohh, I could have got all the Pete Tong "eh-eh-eh-eh-essentials" in, Al...Aled, am I playing this thing? Yes or no?
Aled (in background): No.
Chris: Why not?
Aled (in background): Because it's in the wrong store.
Chris: It's in the wrong store. Which means that this song hasn't been checked for foul language and violence. Although, I don't believe there to be any bad language in A Tribe Called Quest, I think they were mainly a, er, harmonious group of people.
Aled: Is it possible to use it for the beginning, cos that's the bit you like, and then go to the other version?
Chris: Have you got the other version?
Aled: The other version.
Chris: Alright. Well I can mix it, if you want.
Aled: That's fine.
Track begins to play again, exactly as before...
Chris: And you say that's Pete Tong?
Dave: No, that's not Pete Tong.
Chris: Right, now where should he come in, Dave? You do it.
Dave: A Tribe Called Quest..Quest..Quest..Quest...well, something like that.
Chris: Alright. The new version you've given me is exactly the same. So you're saying this is from the 'friendly' pile?
Aled: Er..the one I put in is from the non-friendly pile. The other one says the words 'radio edit'. From the friendly store.
Dave: Al, if this goes wrong language-wise, who's strictly liable? Is it me or you?
Aled: Me.
Chris: Will I get into trouble?
Aled: No..you'll just be slagged off in the papers.
Chris: So should I just play this song and shut up? Alright.

Flaws:

Seamless once again, despite the issues with the track.

Tedious Facts:

Released - January 1991

Highest UK Chart Position - #15

Listen to the Link:

http://chrismoyles.net/soundvault/soundvault.php?fileid=2493
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Stone Roses, Love Spreads

Today's Transcript:

'Can I kick it' is what you might say if you were being very polite before taking a penalty. A penalty of a different type is what you get if you've been caught speeding or if you've got a parking fine. Fine is a nice word in the world of weather, and one which we haven't heard now for a good few months. 'Now You're Gone' was a Euromonster hit for Basshunter, who was in the 'Big Brother' house in January with Vinnie Jones and Dane Bowers. Dane Bowers used to go out with Katie Price, as did Peter Andre, who's from Australia like Dame Edna. If you swap the 'D' in 'Edna' for a 'T' you get 'Etna', as in Mount Etna, which is a famous volcano. When volcanoes erupt they spurt out a load of molten lava. 'Lava' rhymes with 'guava', which is a type of tropical fruit. Fruit is an important part of any balanced diet, and helps to keep you regular. The plural of 'regular' is 'regulars', which is what a pub landlord likes to have a lot of. Some pubs also do B&B, which stands for Bed and Breakfast, where you wake up in the morning and they have a whole selection of breakfast stuff, cereals and jams and marmalades, which is great if you love spreads, which links to Stone Roses and 'Love Spreads'.

Flaws:

Peter Andre married rather than just dated Katie Price, but otherwise watertight.

Tedious Facts:

Released - December 1994

Highest UK Chart Position - #2

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Chocolate Puma, I Wanna Be U

Today's Transcript:

Stone Roses were fronted by Ian Brown, who went on to release a solo album entitled 'Unfinished Monkey Business'. Monkeys live in jungles all around the world. 'All Around The World' is a song title that links Oasis, Lisa Stansfield and The Jam. The Jam were fronted by Paul Weller, who won the Godlike Genius award at last week's NME Awards in London. London is the capital of England, and the location of Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, The National History Museum and the River Thames. The River Thames has lots of bridges going over it, and lots of boats working as river cruises. The cruises in the world of showbusiness are Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Katie Holmes shares the same surname as the late, great Sherlock Holmes, who was one of the first ever celebrity detectives, before even the days of Magnum PI or Columbo. Colombo is the capital of Sri Lanka, which is a popular holiday destination for those seeking sun, sea and relaxation. Relaxation is what you wouldn't be feeling if you'd been cornered in a cave by an angry and hungry looking puma, and if you did find yourself in this situation and happened to have some chocolate in your pocket, you'd hope that the puma was a chocolate-loving puma, which links to Chocolate Puma and 'I Wanna Be U'.

Flaws:

Sherlock Holmes can't really be described as 'late', as he was a fictional character.

Tedious Facts:

Released - March 2001

Highest UK Chart Position - #6

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

TLC, Waterfalls

Today's Transcript:

I've never heard of a chocolate puma, and I'm not entirely sure what it means, but I have heard of chocolate, which is eaten on a massive scale by girls, and I've heard of an animal called a puma, which is a large cat native to South America. South America is made up of lots of different countries, although only Bolivia and Paraguay are landlocked, ie they don't have a coastline or a beach. A beach is a good place to sunbathe, but a bad place to lose your wedding ring as a result of having cream on your hands. Hands are the international unit of measurement for measuring the height of a horse. A horse has four feer, or hooves, as they're called, and often wears special horseshoes to protect them against general wear. 'Where Are They From' is the name of my amazing new game you've just heard, which is available right now to bosses of major TV networks in this country and abroad. 'A broad' is a derogatory term in America, basically meaning a bird or a chick. Chickpeas are strange little things that you can eat in stuff like curries and salad, but also form the basis of houmous. Houmous is eaten more in hot countries than cold countries. Hot countries also tend to have more waterfalls, which links to TLC and 'Waterfalls'.

Flaws:

Bolivia does in fact have a beach, even though it is landlocked.

Tedious Facts:

Released - August 1995

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Maximo Park, Our Velocity

Today's Transcript:

Waterfalls are what you wouldn't want to see if you were rowing a kayak two thousand miles up the Amazon, like Helen Skelton from 'Blue Peter''s just done for Sport Relief. Sport Relief is also the reason that the likes of Davina McCall, JimmY Carr and Paddy Kielty are all cycling in the middle of hell somewhere in Devon, halfway between Land's End and John O'Groats. 'Groats' rhymes with 'coats', which are what you need at John O'Groats because it's very cold. Coldplay are a band from Exeter, which weirdly is not a million miles away from where the cyclists are now, cos we can see them on our GPS tracker. A Tracker of a different type is a kind of cereal bar. Bar is what you do to someone if you're a landlord and they behave badly in your pub. 'Pub' rhymes with 'cub', which is a term for a baby lion. Baby lions grow up to be big scary lions, who live in places like Africa. Africa is a continent that contains both South Africa at the bottom and Egypt at the top, and it was Egypt who put on an impressive display last night against England. England, or more precisely Newcastle-upon-Tyne, is where Maximo Park were formed , which links to Maximo Park and 'Our Velocity'.

Flaws:

Problem-free today.

Tedious Facts:

Released - March 2007

Highest UK Chart Position - #9

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Outkast, Hey Ya!

Today's Transcript:

Velocity is basically just a posh word for speed, which is distance over time. Time is different in different parts of the world, where in some places it can be daytime and at the same time in others it's night. If you add a 'K' to the front of 'night' you've got 'knight', as in a knight that might have worn armour, ridden a hourse and eaten his dinner at a round table. 'Table' rhymes with 'label', which is what you find in the back of your clothes. Clothes need to be washed, and when you've washed them you need to hang them out to dry. Dry is one way to describe wine, and the opposite of dry wine is sweet. 'Sweet Like Chocolate' was a big hit for Shanks & Bigfoot, and I have no idea what they're up to now as I haven't heard anything from either Shanks or Bigfoot. If you had a big foot you'd need to put it inside a big sock and a big shoe. 'Shoo' is what you might say to a cat or a goose if it was in your way and you wanted it to move. Move is what you'd have to do if you got a job suddenly in America, and America is where Outkast are from , which links to Outkast and 'Hey Ya!'.

Flaws:

Velocity is not the same thing as speed - velocity is the rate of change in position (defined by acceleration). Dave professed to not really understand this distinction, and so declared that he intended to ignore his error.

Tedious Facts:

Released - November 2003

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

The Cranberries, Linger

Today's Transcript:

Outkast are from Atlanta, Georgia, and are led by frontman Andre 3000. 3000 was the year that Busted sang about in their song 'Year 3000'. Busted's Matt Willis is mates with David Gest. David Gest is also mates with Katie Price, whose alter-ego is called Jordan. Jordan is a country in the Middle East which has its own king. King, first name Ross, is a telly presenter who was doing the GMTV Oscars coverage with Mel B, who we spoke to on the phone yesterday. 'Yesterday' is the name of a classic record by The Beatles, and the only two surviving Beatles are Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. Ringo Starr's son Zak Starkey used to be the drummer with Oasis. Oasis were formed in Manchester years ago, and lasted until last year, when Noel and Liam fell out. Out is the opposite of in, and 'out' and 'in' are what you might see written on the doors of a professional kitchen. If you remove the first letter of 'kitchen' you're left with 'itchen', which is what you might have if you felt the need to call our very own Aled Hadyn Jones on the Surgery. Aled is from Wales, and if he boarded a ferry and travelled to Ros Lair he'd be in Ireland, which is where The Cranberries are from, which links to The Cranberries and 'Linger'.

Flaws:

Seamless link.

Tedious Facts:

Released - February 1994

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Rest Assured, Treat Infamy

Today's Transcript:

'Linger' rhymes with 'finger', which is a part of the body traditionally used for the wearing of ring, while a ring was the focus of the film 'Lord of The Rings', which was based on the novel by JRR Tolkien, who's from South Africa, like Nelson Mandela. Nelson Mandela spent time in jail, and in that respect shares something in common with Duncan Ferguson. Duncan Ferguson is the brother-in-law of snooker legend John Parrott. Parrot is a good example of a bird that is often described as being sick. Sick is what you don't want to be in a taxi, as they'll quite rightly charge you a cleaning-up fee. 'Fee' rhymes with 'knee', which is a part of the body that is often injured in the sport of football. Football is the biggest sport in the world, and played in most countries, from Africa to Asia and throughout South America. South America is where Maradona is from, who is famous for controversially handling a ball in the incident that we now know as the 'Hand of God' goal. Hands were also used by Thierry Henry recently, in a World Cup qualifier that saw France out of the World Cup at the expense of the Republic of Ireland. The Republic of Ireland is a nice place to go on holiday, as it's pretty laid back on the whole and you're always assured a good rest, which links to Rest Assured and 'Treat Infamy'.

Flaws:

Africa, Asia and South America are not countries but continents. Texts claimed that Dave was also wrong on the biggest sport in the world and the nationality of Tolkien, but in fact he was correct on both (although how the popularity of a sport is measured is open to interpretation).

Tedious Facts:

Released - February 1998

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Kula Shaker, Hey Dude

Today's Transcript:

'Treat Infamy' was a top 14 chart smash back in 1998. If you add up all the numbers in 1998 you get 27, which is exactly one short of the amount of days in a standard month of February. February is month number two on the calendar and also the time of year that houses Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day is a time for giving love to someone close and special to you. If you reverse 'to you' you get 'U2', who are a band from Dublin, fronted by globally conscious rock Lord Bono. Bono's real name is Paul Hewson, which means that he actually shares the same first name as Paul Daniels, the magician. Paul Daniels is married to Debbie McGee, who was the subject and inspiration behind a parody of ours last year based on a track by Kings of Leon. Leon Trotsky was a famous Russian, and in that respect shares something in common with Roman Abramovich and those girls from Tatu. The plural of 'tattoo' is 'tattoos', which are what Fearne Cotton has a lot of on her body, unlike Radio 1 colleague and friend Scott Mills. Scott Mills shares the same surname as Crispian Mills from Kula Shaker, which links to Kula Shaker and 'Hey Dude'.

Flaws:

Watertight today.

Tedious Facts:

Released - September 1996

Highest UK Chart Position - #2

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Impression That I Get

Today's Transcript:

'Hey dude' is a popular greeting if you're meeting a surfer by a massive tube. The tube is what Londoners call the London Underground, which is a train network connecting the city, much like New York has a subway. A subway in this country is normally a passage under a dual carriageway, which is generally to be avoided for fear of getting mugged. 'Mugged' rhymes with 'bugged', which is what spies do to people if they want to intercept their phone calls and find out what they're plotting. Plotting a course is what a naval seaman would do when sailing across the Atlantic. Atlantic Ocean had a hit years ago entitled 'Waterfall', which is also the name of a classic record by the Stone Roses, while the plural of 'waterfall' is 'waterfalls', which was a huge hit for TLC. Sadly departed TLC member Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes duetted with Mel C on the hit 'Never Be The Same Again'. 'Same again' is what a barmaid might say to you if you were in the bar ordering more drinks. If you remove the first letter of 'drinks' you're left with 'rinks', which is what Torvill and Dean have seen a few of in their time. Time is not on the side of David Beckham after doing his Achilles in last night, which sadly looks to have ended his dreams of playing in the World Cup, or at least that's the impression that I get, which links to The Mighty Mighty Bosstones and 'The Impression That I Get'.

Flaws:

Seamless once again.

Tedious Facts:

Released - April 1998

Highest UK Chart Position - #12

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Bodyrockers, I Like The Way

Today's Transcript:

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones are from a place called Cambridge, Massachusetts, which presumably is named after Cambridge in Cambridgeshire in England, which is a good example of somewhere with a famous university. University is a good place to work if you like to hang out with students. Students tend to get up later than most people, so that they can rest their brains and allow them to absorb more knowledge. Knowledge is what you need a lot of if you want to be a scientist or maths genius like Carol Vorderman or Dr Steven Hawking. Hawking is like falconry in that it's doing clever tricks with hawks, which means that the person involved has got to wear one of those special big oven gloves to stop the bird from scratching or pecking their hand off. A hand-off of a different type is what you might get in the sport of rugby. Rugby is what Jonah Lomu is famous for, and he, of course, is from a place called New Zealand, the same as Zane Lowe. Zane Lowe now lives in the UK, and has forged a reputation for playing the best new music first. I would imagine that it was Zane who was one of the first to play Bodyrockers 'I Like The Way You Move', which links to Bodyrockers and 'I Like The Way You Move'.

Flaws:

Seamless except for the fact that Dave got the title of his track slightly wrong - it's just called 'I Like The Way'. I also can't imagine that Zane Lowe would have been the first to play such a mainstream pop record, but there's no way to prove that.

Tedious Facts:

Released - April 2005

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Tiffany, I Think We're Alone Now

Today's Transcript:

'I Like The Way You Move' was released in 2005, the year that England won the Ashes. 'Ashes' was the title of a big record in 2004 for Embrace. Embrace is what people do a lot of at the arrivals section of the airport. The airport is a place where you see a lot of people going on holiday and coming back from holiday. 'Holiday' is a song title that links Madonna with Green Day. Green Day are from California, which is where Simon Cowell spends a lot of his time. Simon Cowell decided not to sign Jedward, and must have been gutted yesterday at the news that the twins have been dropped from their record label. 'Label' rhymes with 'cable', which is an alternative to satellite telly for those who require extra channels, while 'channels' rhymes with 'flannels', which are what mums tend to wash themselves with, and flannels are also a type of trousers. Trousers are a good example of an item of clothing that people tend to wear whilst out in public, and also when they're at home and alone. When you think of the word 'alone' in the context of late 80s pop you think of 'I Think We're Alone Now', which links to Tiffany and 'I Think We're Alone Now'.

Flaws:

Nothing to report.

Tedious Facts:

Released - January 1988

Highest UK Chart Position - #1

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Dizzee Rascal, Fix Up Look Sharp

Today's Transcript:

American singer Tiffany now lives somewhere near Cannock, which means that she's probably not a million miles away from Stan Collymore. Stan Collymore used to play for Nottingham Forest, whose home shirts are coloured red. 'Red' rhymes with 'bed', which is the best place to rest and go to sleep at night. 'At Night' was a big hit in 2002 for Shakedown, while shake down is probably the most effective way of dislodging a stubborn coconut from a tree. The plural of 'tree' is 'trees', which are a valuable source of wood, sap and in some cases rubber, which is used to make car tyres. Tires is what must happen to Scott Mills on a daily basis at the moment as a result of his gruelling miles from hell. 'Hell' rhymes with 'bell', which is what people ring for last orders. Orders in a restaurant are taken by a waiter or waitress, and normally written down on a piece of paper so that they never forget. 'Never Forget' was a big hit for Take That, who have won many awards in their time. Somebody else who's won awards recently is Dizzee Rascal, which links to Dizzee Rascal and 'Fix Up Look Sharp'.

Flaws:

Another seamless link.

Tedious Facts:

Released - August 2003

Highest UK Chart Position - #17

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

M&S Presents The Girl Next Door, Salsoul Nugget (If You Wanna)

Today's Transcript:

According to Craig David, the success of people like Dizzee Rascal and the buoyant UK urban scene is all down to Craig David, who paved the way back in the day. 'Day' rhymes with 'bay', which is somewhere that you might moor a boat, or it can also be a type of tree that produces bay leaves used in cooking. Cooking is something that Gordon Ramsay's very good at, and this is why he owns a lot of restaurants. 'Restaurants' is a good example of a word that's the same in both English and French, a bit like 'rendezvous' and 'croissant'. The plural of 'croissant' is 'croissants', which are what the Continentals like to eat for breakfast. Breakfast is apparently the most important meal of the day, as it sets you up for the day ahead. A head is what you have on your neck, and it's your head that contains your brain. 'Brain' is an anagram of 'Brian', as in Brian Conley, who does a lot of work these days on the stage. The stage is where a lot of wannabe performers want to be when they travel to London, believeing, of course, the streets to be paved with gold. Gold, like chicken, is something that comes in the form of nuggets, and when you think of the word nugget in the world of music you think of 'Salsoul Nugget', which links to M&S and The Girl Next Door and 'Salsoul Nugget'.

Flaws:

'Croissant' and 'rendezvous' are not words that are spelt the same in French and English at all; they are French words that have been adopted wholesale into English. Dave frequently gets these concepts mixed up.

Tedious Facts:

Released - April 2001

Highest UK Chart Position - #6

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Prince, Alphabet Street

Today's Transcript:

'Nugget' is a word associated with gold, while 'Gold' was a big hit in the 1980s for a band called Spandau Ballet. Ballet is the dance theme for the film and play 'Billy Elliot'. Billy Elliot shares the same first name as Billy Davies, who's the manager for Derby County. Before moving to Pride Park, Derby County used to play their home matches at the Baseball Ground. Baseball is popular in the States, and is essentially just a slightly more butch version of rounders. 'Rounders' rhymes with 'pounders', as in quarter pounders, which are better with cheese. Cheese comes from milk, which comes from cows, which like to eat grass. The grass has started growing again now that we've entered the season of spring. Spring onions are nice, I find, in salads. The word 'salads' is always made up of four consonants and one vowel which is repeated twice, and vowels and consonants are what make up the alphabet, which links to Prince and 'Alphabet Street'.

Flaws:

Billy Davies is manager of Nottingham Forest, not Derby County. Also, 'salads' is not technically made up of four consonants but of three, one of which is repeated twice. I also suspect that baseball fans would argue against Dave's assertion that it's a "more butch version of rounders", but that's open to interpretation.

Tedious Facts:

Released - May 1988

Highest UK Chart Position - #9

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Seahorses, Love Is The Law

Today's Transcript:

The alphabet was invented by the Greeks, I think, who also contributed massively to the invention of civilisation, art, culture and dancing. Dancing is what we are now almost expert at, after our trip to Pineapple Dance Studios the other day with the shy and retiring Louie Spence, and if you haven't seen our dancing video yet, have a look at our pages at Radio 1 online. Online is where Yorkshire people put their clothes to dry. 'Dry' is how you might describe the Sahara desert, which is somewhere that doesn't get much in the way of rainfall, unlike here where it comes down by the bucketload. A bucket is an essential piece of kit when you wash your car or windows. Windows in the computer sense was invented by Bill Gates, who's now a multimillionaire as a result. 'Who wants to be a millionaire' is a question regularly asked by Chris Tarrant, who's now presenting a new show on ITV1 with Amanda Holden called 'The Door'. The door is what Hull manager Phil Brown was shown last week, when he was replaced in the hotseat by Iain Dowie. Iain Dowie shares the same initials as Inaya Day, who had a hit in 2005 with 'Nasty Girl'. The plural of 'girl' is 'girls', and girls are normally the only people who can have babies, except in the case of seahorses, which links to Seahorses and 'Love Is The Law'.

Flaws:

There is no evidence that the Greeks contributed significantly to the invention of dancing. As it does not leave behind clearly identifiable physical artifacts, it is not possible to say when dance became part of human culture, but archeology delivers traces of dance from prehistoric times, such as Indian and Egyptian tomb paintings depicting dancing figures from circa 3300 BC. Additionally, it's not just people in Yorkshire who hang their washing on lines to dry!

Tedious Facts:

Released - May 1997

(N_Red)
By Nicola_Red

Today's Tedious Link:

Amerie, One Thing

Today's Transcript:

Seahorses are odd little things that look like horses but live in the sea. The sea can be quite scary, while the letter 'C' is way less scary, and is the start of a lot of nice words, such as 'cuddle', 'carrot cake' and 'cardigan'. Cardigan Bay, geographically speaking, is situated off the West coast of Wales. Wales is where Charlotte Church is from, and she's doing 'Over The Rainbow' with Graham Norton and Andrew Lloyd Webber, where they're looking for a new Dorothy and Toto. Toto was the name of an American band who had a hit in the 80s called 'Africa'. Africa is both a continent and a scent that makes men almost irresistible to women. Women make up approximately 50% of the population of the world, and tend to be better than men at stuff like talking and ironing. Ironing can be dangerous if somebody rings you while you're in the middle of it. Middle is a type of bacon, along with back and, of course, streaky. Streaky bacon tends to be what you get if you order bacon in a restaurant in America, and America, or more precisely Fitzburg, Massachusetts, is where Amerie is from, which links to Amerie and 'One Thing'.

Flaws:

Recent estimates state that women actually make up around 51% of the world's population.

Tedious Facts:

Released - June 2005

Dave last linked to this track nine months ago in June 09.

(N_Red)
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]