An archive of older press articles
By Chris
Dave and Chappers were the quiz masters in the Letts Challenge at the end of January 2002. They took questions from the contestants and Dave answered as follows.

What is the first thing you do when you wake up?

Dave Vitty: Press snooze on my alarm clock and go back to sleep for ten minutes.

If you could be in any 80s American TV programme, which would you most like to be in and why?

Dave Vitty: It would have to be the ''Dukes Of Hazzard.'' It was my favourite programme of all time when I was a kid. I'd be quite happy spending my days jumping in and out of the General Lee. Although, I think all that climbing in and out through the windows could eventually result in pain in the lower back, and problems with posture.

If you could have one wish what would it be?

Dave Vitty: Everton to win the league and an end to famine and global conflict.

If you could be any animal what would it be and why?

Dave Vitty: A Giraffe. People would notice you in a crowded shopping precinct.

How much of the radio show is scripted, and how much is made-up as you go along?

Dave Vitty: It's about 5% scripted, and 95% made up. Moyles is very good at talking rollocks.

What is the one question you would hate to be asked, and what is its answer ?

Dave Vitty: ''Would you like to wrestle an enormous killer whale?'' My answer would be - No.

Let''s face it, Chris is a bit of a porker - do you ever get to eat your own lunch or does the fat bloke grab it? And does he sweat a lot too?

Dave Vitty: I always get to eat my own lunch. Chris has actually got all health conscious, and regularly chooses the healthy options in the cafe, leaving Will and me to eat all the Shepherds Pie and Chips.

Who would you say has been the best guest on ''your'' show and who did you most look forward to meeting?

Dave Vitty: One of the best guests we've ever had for sheer entertainment value has got to be Will Smith. He's always got plenty to say, and never fails to give the interview any less than 100%. The one person who it felt 'weird' to meet was Simon Le Bon. I had all the Duran Duran records (ask your parents) when I was a kid, and for the first time ever, I guess I was a bit star struck.

Apart from a white Capri, what is your dream car?

Dave Vitty: A BMW M5. Although I was lucky enough to have a Lotus Elise on loan for the weekend about a month ago which was fantastic. One day when I'm rich and famous, I'd like one of them as well.

How did you get into broadcasting, was it something that you always wanted to do, or did it happen by accident? Also, if you weren''t working for Radio 1 what do you think you''d be doing instead?

Dave Vitty: It was kind of an accident really. I'd studied Radio Production at college, but never had any ambitions to be 'on air'. I was working as a 'tech op' at Radio One when I met Moyles. We got on as mates, went to the pub and threw some ideas around, and eventually an opportunity came up to work as a broadcast assistant on his show. I took it, and the rest as they say is history. I've been a very lucky boy really. If I wasn't doing this I guess I'd be a dentist or a vet or something.

When in your life were you the most scared, and why? How did you deal with it - fight or flight?

Dave Vitty: Going on stage at my first ever roadshow in Coventry still arouses the smell of fear. I started to relax after about 45 minutes of being on stage, which wasn't much good as we were only on for an hour. By the time I'd stopped shaking, it was time to pack up our stuff and go for a pint.

How did you do in your exams? What was your best subject?

Dave Vitty: I was always something of an under achiever at school. ''Able but idle'' was a favourite quote on my school reports. My academic career was breathtakingly average, but my best subjects were probably English and Geography. I always loved writing, and I found Geography interesting and fairly straightforward.

Thank you both!!