Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By Chris
Feel free to post your questions for Aled below - maybe he'll answer them for you!

Please keep everything on topic, and keep your questions both sensible and reasonable.

ASK ALED!
Last edited by Chris on Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By MC
Aled,

Can we expect any new on air features when the show returns?

Only speaking personally but for me the show has definitely lost some of its sparkle this year.
By Aled
MC wrote:Aled,

Can we expect any new on air features when the show returns?

Only speaking personally but for me the show has definitely lost some of its sparkle this year.

yes you can.

Sorry you feel it's lost some of its sparkle. We'll do our best when we get back.
By bliss
Aled,
Is there goin 2 be another radio 1 race.
By Betti911
Aled,

What are you up to for your holidays?
By Walter Sobchak
Aled, will you stick your tongue out at a BBC executive, seeing as we can't have a mini-moyles!
By Uglybob
could they not make this the official site and close down the bbc online one thus giving the bbc more money to spend on graham nortons really worthwhile salary.
By Walter Sobchak
Aled.
Would there be a possibility of adding the web-based mini-moyles to the BBC Chris Moyles website, maybe as an alternative option to the existing one?
By Aled
OldGit wrote:Aled, will you stick your tongue out at a BBC executive, seeing as we can't have a mini-moyles!

Yes I will. I'm still on holiday so am not aware of what's happened regarding Mini Moyles. It's not the BBC that made it, we bought it in for our use, so it may have been them that put pressure on us to stick to the rules, but in all honesty I don't know anything yet.

Seeing that it IS genuine BBC policy and they're not making up the rules for this case only, Chris is correct that we should view it as good that the BBC hasn't enforced the rules on the other content, rather than them being stingy on this one alone.

I AM very sorry that some dedicated people on here put so much work into it (Console), and I for one do appreciate that you guys tried to help us out with rolling MM out over the other platforms.
By Aled
Uglybob wrote:could they not make this the official site and close down the bbc online one thus giving the bbc more money to spend on graham nortons really worthwhile salary.

And you'd all work for free?
By Aled
OldGit wrote:Aled.
Would there be a possibility of adding the web-based mini-moyles to the BBC Chris Moyles website, maybe as an alternative option to the existing one?

No. It's not our intellectual property - someone else created it. We could not endorse someone else re-creating it. Surely you guys can see what kind of illegal can of worms that would be!
By Console
Aled wrote:It's not the BBC that made it, we bought it in for our use, so it may have been them that put pressure on us to stick to the rules...

This is what Chris [Harris] and I have been assuming.

Aled, why didn't the BBC just make their own software? Surely they could have done it with their resources, especially considering how easily we hacked together our own client, although not quite as flashy, with all the cool animations (oddly enough I decided not to include them because I thought it would break the BBC's rules).
By Uglybob
Aled wrote:
Uglybob wrote:could they not make this the official site and close down the bbc online one thus giving the bbc more money to spend on graham nortons really worthwhile salary.

well noones been paid here anyway
By Aled
Uglybob wrote:
Aled wrote:

well noones been paid here anyway

Doing this because you like doing it and doing it because you have to are very different things! It wouldn't be right for the BBC to 'take on' this site.
By Gaspode_The_Wonder_Dog
plus then we may have censorship and we might be forced to think alan titchmarsh is the new attenborough as the bbc seem to believe.
By Quincy
id like to see pebble mill return with alan titchmarsh.
By Ste
Never the less its good to know you're on our side on this one Aled.
By Aled
Ste wrote:Never the less its good to know you're on our side on this one Aled.

Ahh... I'm in work. I've had chats with a few people here about this and I DO understand why the BBC have done what they have. My sentiment still stands though that I appreciate the work that went into it by those on here.

I PROMISE you your extremely valuable argument that they should be across more platforms have been noted. At the end of the day it's about money. By being across EVERY platform I'd imagine it would put the price up a lot more possibly meaning MM it would never have been launched as it's not as if we have a lot of money to throw around. (Leave Graham Norton out of this please).

It's not our program though and we can't allow others to replicate their intellectual property. Oh well. On to the next project. For those who can... Mini Moyles today is cool, tomorrows is a new Moyles Computer Game! Your very own exclusive right here! :)
By DemonHorse
Aled wrote:Mini Moyles today is cool, tomorrows is a new Moyles Computer Game! Your very own exclusive right here! :)

Is this going to be like the ones there used to be on the Mark and Lard site? (i.e flash games)
By Walter Sobchak
Thankyou for your reply Aled.
Yes, I do understand, and think that most people do, still a little annoyed at it though, probably the litigious society that exists these days makes them careful!
Maybe I shouldn't be annoyed (if only a little!), but thankful that they allow things on this site.
By Jono
Looking forward to the new features on Monday
By MC
Looking forward to finding out which current features are going.

All of them preferably.
By Aled
MC wrote:Looking forward to finding out which current features are going.

All of them preferably.

Now, now. Don't be nasty. The average time people listen to Radio 1 is something around 8 minutes. Plus the VAST majority of people don't listen every day.

You and the others on these forums who listen to every feature and every show every day are a tiny minority. You will tire of things much quicker than the rest of our audience, for which, research shows, the routine of features and the familiarity this gives when the DO dip in and out is a massive plus point and something we shouldn't throw away because you're bored.
By Jono
They've done their research :)

Well I'll be happy with just a feature to replace Buzz Off at that time of the morning. But like Scott Mills has dropped Celebrity Call for a while and like Rate My Listener was dropped for a few months do you not think some features could do with having a little time off until a later date?

Other quick questions - Are the team changes in effect tomorrow, or have they already been introduced? And I'm presuming Radio 1 is now on air in America?
By Aled
Jono wrote:They've done their research :)

Well I'll be happy with just a feature to replace Buzz Off at that time of the morning. But like Scott Mills has dropped Celebrity Call for a while and like Rate My Listener was dropped for a few months do you not think some features could do with having a little time off until a later date?

Other quick questions - Are the team changes in effect tomorrow, or have they already been introduced? And I'm presuming Radio 1 is now on air in America?

We planned on dropping Car Park Catchphrase at the end of last year, but we got such a negative response to the idea that we kept it.

Tedious link won't be going anywhere. Buzz Off was dropped because we wanted to go back to the afternoon format of easing into the show, so the first half hour tends to be the chat that's on Chris' mind. Tomorrow will probably be what we got up etc. Buzz Off cut that off and it all felt too rushed for us. There is normally a feature every half an hour. The problem with having regular features is that it sets up barriers to be able to be spontaneous. Plus most big messages or competitions that happen on Radio 1 go through our show so we want to allow room for these.

I'm not saying the format's perfect but tweaking to get there rather than widespread dumping of stuff.

As for team changes, what are you refering to? Will? If so, that happened at the end of May.

Thank you both!!