Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By Aled
MC wrote:Aled, how pleased are you with the figures announced today?

Has getting the figures up been an issue that has come up in conversation or lot, or did you (as a team) not really worry about it?

Absolutely effing ecstatic - of course!

Hand on heart, I can honestly say that the figures have never been an issue with management. Obviously, privately you hope if you give the show your all then it'll be reflected in the ratings but Radio 1 doesn't live in the same world it did 5 - 10 years ago when there were a handful of stations competing with us, let alone 20 years ago when it was the only youth station around.

Add to that the hundreds of digital stations on digital and online all who's audience are the same as Radio 1's and you realise that to have over 50% of 15-24's is an amazing achievement and one that all other youth media would be jealous of. It's only the tabloids who seem obssessed with Radio 1's figures being what they were decades ago.
By Nicky
Will the figures for the other shows be released?

IE: What difference has the move had on Drivetime now...
By Aled
Nicky wrote:Will the figures for the other shows be released?

No I doubt it. Show figures are normally only shared with the production teams, we on Breakfast won't find out the figures for Sara or any other show. Breakfast has always been different because of the media interest.
By Adam
I wouldnt worry to much, Aled. We arent really that bothered about any other shows - apart from how well or how bad Sara Cox has done.

I hope Sara's show has done okay actually. I think she suits that time of the day. I'm glad that the Chris Moyles show has done alright as well, I remember all the groans that it would be a complete nightmare and that we werent going to like it. Amazing what change does really..

Just also goes to show how people and critics are proven wrong. It would be safe to say that Moyles will be around for a few more years to come.

Glad its all gone well.
By Mk.
Aled wrote:
MC wrote:Has getting the figures up been an issue that has come up in conversation or lot, or did you (as a team) not really worry about it?

Absolutely effing ecstatic - of course!

Hand on heart, I can honestly say that the figures have never been an issue with management. Obviously, privately you hope if you give the show your all then it'll be reflected in the ratings but Radio 1 doesn't live in the same world it did 5 - 10 years ago when there were a handful of stations competing with us, let alone 20 years ago when it was the only youth station around.

Add to that the hundreds of digital stations on digital and online all who's audience are the same as Radio 1's and you realise that to have over 50% of 15-24's is an amazing achievement and one that all other youth media would be jealous of. It's only the tabloids who seem obssessed with Radio 1's figures being what they were decades ago.

Well said Aled, well said. Couldn't of put it better myself.
By Adam
Lets just hope Moyles wins a sony. ;)
By B26354
Aled wrote:
R.T.T wrote:Aled, do you know what Melinda (Simon Hollis) is doing these days last time i heard he was still at radio 1, because chris mentioned on his birthday when everyone was at the pub for the show, he saw Simon in the studio reading a paper and no-one else was around

I don't know sorry, he's not at Radio 1 any more.

thanks anyway,
i asked because we know what other former members of the team went on to become- yet we didnt hear much of melinda
By Mk.
Adam wrote:Lets just hope Moyles wins a sony. ;)

Hahahaha, good one Adam! You have got a cracking sense of humour when you put your mind to it!
By David
Adam wrote:Just also goes to show how people and critics are proven wrong. It would be safe to say that Moyles will be around for a few more years to come.

I just cant wait till the day Moyles beats Wogan, just to shut that Irish idiot up.

DL
By Aled
Adam wrote:Lets just hope Moyles wins a sony. ;)

Yeah well, don't hold your breath!
By Aled
David wrote:
Adam wrote:Just also goes to show how people and critics are proven wrong. It would be safe to say that Moyles will be around for a few more years to come.

I just cant wait till the day Moyles beats Wogan, just to shut that Irish idiot up.

DL

It'll never happen. Radio 2 targets 25-45. There's many many more of those than there are 15-24s.
By JHF18
Hi Aled

I thought you were on holiday, you didnt decide to go somewhere nice and warm.

What is an OB?

Take Care
James (and his mum)
By Adam
So, did you get your Chris Moyles mug?
By JHF18
Sorry just read through the other messages I now know you are Aberystwyth with your family.

Have a good one
By JHF18
Yes i got 2 (1 was chipped though) and a autograph.

By the way Aled thanks for getting Jocelin to that out for me.
By jimmy g
Aled wrote:
David wrote:I just cant wait till the day Moyles beats Wogan, just to shut that Irish idiot up.

DL

It'll never happen. Radio 2 targets 25-45. There's many many more of those than there are 15-24s.

It's a good point. But if Wogan was to retire? I struggle to thing who would replace him. I like Wogan but of the music he plays is very predictable and dull.

As for finding out Cox's Rajar, occasionally the newspapers print details, especially if the figures go up or down sharply.
By Adam
Oh the hint that she wont be getting a new contract?

No Coxy must stay!
By MC
I heard most of Coxy's afternoon show for the first time today and I have to admit *gulp*...it was quite good.

Especially The Wonder Years which is a great feature (and not just because it's virtually all music and no Sara for 45 minutes).
By Adam
Giving people a chance is always good. Giving them a chance is something that sound be used on this board more often.

Was it not obvious to people that Sara Cox was getting old and boring for the time slot and that she needed to grow elsewhere in a different time. She's clearly much better in her current time slot. I hope she returns after baby gets bigger. I dont want her doing a Zoe ball.
By Sidders
I would give her a chance if her voice didn't annoy me so much...
By Nicky
Aled wrote:
Nicky wrote:Will the figures for the other shows be released?

No I doubt it. Show figures are normally only shared with the production teams, we on Breakfast won't find out the figures for Sara or any other show. Breakfast has always been different because of the media interest.

Thats a shame... It must be a point of interest for you and the team..
By Aaron
MC wrote:I heard most of Coxy's afternoon show for the first time today and I have to admit *gulp*...it was quite good.

Especially The Wonder Years which is a great feature (and not just because it's virtually all music and no Sara for 45 minutes).

I actually listened to whole weeks worth (well 4 days) of Sara Cox this week. And she is good, wonderyears is great, me myself and I, with the right contestants, is hilarious. No doubt Scott Mills will be better, but from now till then I will actually be listening to more Coxy.
By Adam
Aled,

Lets be honest here - you'd rather be somewhere hot than Aberystwyth..?

Four months in - whats been your highlight of the breakfast show..?
By Aled
JHF18 wrote:Hi Aled

I thought you were on holiday, you didnt decide to go somewhere nice and warm.

What is an OB?

Take Care
James (and his mum)

Oh my God James you just get everywhere! I'm half expecting to see you pop up in a pub in my town!!!! :D

No, I've come home to Wales to see my family. I'm spending a lot of 2004 from home so I like coming home when I can.
By Aled
Jimmy G wrote:
Aled wrote:
David wrote:I just cant wait till the day Moyles beats Wogan, just to shut that Irish idiot up.

DL

It's a good point. But if Wogan was to retire? I struggle to thing who would replace him. I like Wogan but of the music he plays is very predictable and dull.

As for finding out Cox's Rajar, occasionally the newspapers print details, especially if the figures go up or down sharply.

It's not that it's a complete secret - I'd imagine if the press asked for them they'd get them out. I don't know. I've never asked.