Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By Aled
theflyingbadger wrote:Aled. On average how many emails does the chris.moyles@bbc.co.uk address get these days?
I just wondered as with all the other ways to contact the show is the email becoming a thing of the past for a way to contact you guys?

Been listening back to some old shows and that was always the way ask you guys a question (or so I thought).

I did once, to ask about a podcast I missed.

Nobody answered me back, bad times :(

Found this lovely place as a result, good times? :?

I'm afraid that yes that email is becoming an outdated way of getting hold of us. The best way is Twitter during the show or text and free messaging system
By Aled
chrisjames wrote:Is dave's replacement next week Matt? It's his last week after all, so would be good way of saying goodbye to him!(plus it's only a 4 day week so not too much of a risk)

No, sorry
By Aled
Deadly wrote:Is Matt's leaving a mutual decision or is it purely his? I know Chris jokingly picks on him and says he is rubbish at his job etc but more recently he has sounded like he actually meant it.

Yes, it's his decision. He Applied for an attachment as a Producer and got it. He's done really well.
By Emmy
Aled wrote:
gabbie wrote:Hello Aled!

Ive always wondered, does 'Ive just eaten a whole packet of Tofos' mean to move on from the link? Ive always noticed it, even when I was in the car to school!

I don't know actually. Now that you've pointed it out to me I'll pay close attention to the next time it's used!

How can you have worked with Chris and Dave for so many years (and heard them use this phrase regularly) without knowing the story behind the phrase? Here's the answer, taken from a previous thread asking the same question http://wwwd.chrismoyles.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17453&start=125

'This was a quote from the old Harry Enfield and Chums TV programme.

It was said by Paul Whitehouse's character in the Smashy and Nicey DJ sketch.'

And yes, it quite obviously is used as code by Chris and Dave for 'link overboard!'

Brilliant characters, if you haven't watched any of the sketches then you should do.
I always think Dave comes out with it when they have one of those "I don't really know where to go with this" moments.
Hi Aled. I am coming to hang around outside the Radio 1 building on Wednesday in the hope of touching Dom. Can you think of any gifts he might like? Does he have a favourite sweet or flavour of crisps?
Aled, I enjoy the build up to the big show surprises, which are teased for days or even weeks and then built up during the show before a big reveal. It's good stuff and clearly a lot of effort goes in to making sure the surprise is not revealed before the listener hears it on the show. Unless Dave opens his mouth and puts his foot in it. 8O

However, if you don't hear the show live and listen on the iPlayer, virtually every time that surprise is spoiled -- you see the show description and the surprise is spoiled before you listen to the show.
Some of the worst examples were for the "Face Your Fears" week, where every day the fear was in the description and also in the photo used for the show on the iPlayer.
I was going to mention it at the time, but I got used to sticking my hand over part of the laptop screen when starting up the iPlayer so it wouldn't get spoiled! :D

Today the surprise was spoiled on the iPlayer again:

I'm sure some will think this is a minor thing, but if you haven't heard that day's show before you go on the iPlayer, it's becoming annoying. Imagine if the description for The Sixth Sense on the iPlayer was (highlight text to read spoiler) "Bruce Willis plays Haley Joel Osmont's dead ghosty father in this exciting thriller!" /spoiler

Anyhoo, I dunno who writes the show descriptions for the iPlayer, but can this be addressed? Or tell me to go away. One of the two! :D
If Chris dosen't want to bring back Buzz Off than this is probably a waste of time, but how about a change of format.

On Monday, Chris could choose a track that you, Dave, Dom and Tina could buzz. Tuesday, Dave could bring a song that you, Chris, Dom and Tina could buzz and so on in a 5 day rotation of all the team.

Sounds good in my head, hope you agree. :D
By Aled
Clarkehhh wrote:Was it harder to pick a replacement for Dave second time round having experienced how easily Olly gelled with the team?

Yeah I suppose. Also, I've come to realise there are many things to consider when thinking of a replacement for Dave. You'll never find another Dave so you can't look for a copy, so you have to look for something else and find something else that they'll bring to the mix.
By Aled
chrisjames wrote:Aled..no disrespect pal..but what in Gods name were you thinking when you chose Tulisa as this weeks guest presenter?

I could tell how awkward the whiole team were trying to coax anything out of her!

Tulisa has so far been great. Tulisa hasn't yet settled into a team mode but that's because she's only done 2 hours of the show, and people only ever experience being interviewed or presenting roles, this be a team role is unique which she wouldn't have experienced before.

Relaxing to be like a team member takes days to get. It took Olly a while.
By Aled
McGuinness-89 wrote:If Chris dosen't want to bring back Buzz Off than this is probably a waste of time, but how about a change of format.

On Monday, Chris could choose a track that you, Dave, Dom and Tina could buzz. Tuesday, Dave could bring a song that you, Chris, Dom and Tina could buzz and so on in a 5 day rotation of all the team.

Sounds good in my head, hope you agree. :D

Chris isn't keen on Buzz Off at the moment. If we bring it back I'll suggest your idea!
By Aled
neilt0 wrote:Aled, I enjoy the build up to the big show surprises, which are teased for days or even weeks and then built up during the show before a big reveal. It's good stuff and clearly a lot of effort goes in to making sure the surprise is not revealed before the listener hears it on the show. Unless Dave opens his mouth and puts his foot in it. 8O

However, if you don't hear the show live and listen on the iPlayer, virtually every time that surprise is spoiled -- you see the show description and the surprise is spoiled before you listen to the show.
Some of the worst examples were for the "Face Your Fears" week, where every day the fear was in the description and also in the photo used for the show on the iPlayer.
I was going to mention it at the time, but I got used to sticking my hand over part of the laptop screen when starting up the iPlayer so it wouldn't get spoiled! :D

Today the surprise was spoiled on the iPlayer again:

I'm sure some will think this is a minor thing, but if you haven't heard that day's show before you go on the iPlayer, it's becoming annoying. Imagine if the description for The Sixth Sense on the iPlayer was (highlight text to read spoiler) "Bruce Willis plays Haley Joel Osmont's dead ghosty father in this exciting thriller!" /spoiler

Anyhoo, I dunno who writes the show descriptions for the iPlayer, but can this be addressed? Or tell me to go away. One of the two! :D

I hear you. And I'll talk to Pippa (who's looking after this now) but we're balancing giving you an 'as-live' experience and using the content as promo. The photo and description is key to making casual listeners choose our show while browsing the iplayer.
Aled wrote:I hear you. And I'll talk to Pippa (who's looking after this now) but we're balancing giving you an 'as-live' experience and using the content as promo. The photo and description is key to making casual listeners choose our show while browsing the iplayer.

Thanks for your reply, Aled.

That's a good point, but I'm sure one could be creative -- perhaps with a show description of "Olly Murs joins us in the studio to hand over this week's Comedy Dave substitution duties to a mystery guest!" or similar.

Cheers,

Neil.
I'd have thought a teaser - much like neilt0 just described - would be equally as effective (if not more so) at encouraging people to listen as promoting the show with the actual content?
Topher wrote:I'd have thought a teaser - much like neilt0 just described - would be equally as effective (if not more so) at encouraging people to listen as promoting the show with the actual content?

Well, the counter-argument is that people who are Tulisa fans who don't listen to TCMS will listen because they want to hear her. It'd be interesting to see how relevant that is. I'm guessing more Tulisa fans will find the show by searching via Google or browsing news or fan sites than randomly wandering around the iPlayer. :D
neilt0 wrote:
Topher wrote:I'd have thought a teaser - much like neilt0 just described - would be equally as effective (if not more so) at encouraging people to listen as promoting the show with the actual content?

Well, the counter-argument is that people who are Tulisa fans who don't listen to TCMS will listen because they want to hear her. It'd be interesting to see how relevant that is. I'm guessing more Tulisa fans will find the show by searching via Google or browsing news or fan sites than randomly wandering around the iPlayer. :D

There's been many shows (both radio and t.v) that I've listened to in iplayer after just stumbling across em because I noticed a person of interest to me on there.
By neilt0
slaphead1982 wrote:
neilt0 wrote:

There's been many shows (both radio and t.v) that I've listened to in iplayer after just stumbling across em because I noticed a person of interest to me on there.

One option would be to Um Bongo the surprise for, say 24 to 48 hours, then change the photo and description at a later date. The iPlayer photos and descriptions do change at times already. That way, casual browsers would eventually see interesting guests, but the surprise wouldn't be ruined for diehard show fans.

By Aled

Not if you were a Tulisa fan and she was only on that morning. We're trying to reach non-listeners with our guests too
By Aled
neilt0 wrote:

The info we put on the iPlayer also comes up on Google
Aled,

Got to say drifted away from the show for a period (2009ish-now) but am a regular listener again, a decade is a long time and I think you just need a break for a bit to keep it fresh.

Well done though, since Christmas I think the show has sounded particular tight and on form!

3 questions:

1. How much of a group decision are the schedule changes? Does the R1 Controller sit down with the Producers and tell them where he is going with the station? Or is a strategy session given to all staff where changes can be easily surmised and worked out. As I imagine Ben Cooper has a "road map" for the next 5 years as to where everyone will go to keep the station sounding fresh? It must be as frustrating as hell being the producer of a show for 6 months only to be told its going to be cut / dropped.
2. How are the cuts affecting Radio 1? Does every show really need a Producer and a Broadcast Assistant? Clearly that isn't something that happens in the Commercial sector although I think it would be tragic if Newsbeat suffers from losing so many people.
3. Was Tulisa sent a tape of the show before she joined for the week? She appears to not understand a lot of the features, why did you take the decision not to pick a "superfan" of the show i.e. Davina McCall, Sara Cox etc etc?

Cheers Aled! xoxo

No worries, and good to know that he's going on ho[…]