Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
I was so sleepy and dozed through most of the show this morning, so I kind of heard bits and maybe dreamed other bits - but did I dream the bit about Chris writing something based on the show? Either a book or a TV series - actually when I write that down it looks like I dreamed it! But did I..?
slaphead1982 wrote:It's an evolution. The show is evolving into a new kind of show (i.e the same as the rest minus soo many songs). My feeling is that they are trying to move forward to appeal to the masses..

I do appreciate that things need to evolve, it's more the way that Tedious has been stealthily dropped that bothers me. If Chris had said "we're gonna rest Tedious for a while", that would have been better. But I'm probably just nitpicking.
Nicola_Red wrote:
slaphead1982 wrote:It's an evolution. The show is evolving into a new kind of show (i.e the same as the rest minus soo many songs). My feeling is that they are trying to move forward to appeal to the masses..

I do appreciate that things need to evolve, it's more the way that Tedious has been stealthily dropped that bothers me. If Chris had said "we're gonna rest Tedious for a while", that would have been better. But I'm probably just nitpicking.

No I don't blame you for being annoyed on the status of Tedious because it just seemed to drop off without any mention of actually resting it or whatnot. It's the same way with CPC when they don't bother doing it on certain days because supposedly ran out of time when it doesn't seem to be the case in my opinion. We should ask Aled why this is though since it is not like they haven't got time to do it. I feel it could be something to do with management but could be talking out of my ass.
By Aled
There are so many comments here it's difficult to know where to begin.

Essentially though you're asking me to betray Chris private comments or slag off Radio 1 management! There's a story in that and I'm afraid I don't want to make this more than it is.

There are times that people want a song before 7, there are times that I feel we could have played one and I think Chris agrees with that. But this is The Chris Moyles Show and an off-air discussion will make its way on air - that's why you like the show :)
By Aled
I'm not sure who said what, but the general rule is that the Golden Hour goes back up to 15 years (with Radio 1 audience being 15+ we don't want to exclude the younger audiences) so as the years go on the 15 year Golden Hour history goes with it.
Ha, poor Aled - you must be so bored with having to answer that one over and over again!
Aled wrote:I'm not sure who said what, but the general rule is that the Golden Hour goes back up to 15 years (with Radio 1 audience being 15+ we don't want to exclude the younger audiences) so as the years go on the 15 year Golden Hour history goes with it.

Understandable, I just wondered is all. Thanks for the reply :)
Just to pick up a point that I'm sure got lost in all this "song before 7" hoo-ha, I really miss the handover on iPlayer :( I don't know who made the decision to cut it, but I love hearing the conversation between Fearne and Chris at the end of the show/start of Fearne's.. but it's been cut from the show on iPlayer for the past week or so :(
By Aled
Emmy wrote:I agree that it's annoying, but can't you just listen to the start of Fearne's show?

I was wondering this

If you enjoy the handover - doesn't having it at the start of Fearne's show make it easier to get to?
Aled wrote:
Emmy wrote:I agree that it's annoying, but can't you just listen to the start of Fearne's show?

I was wondering this

If you enjoy the handover - doesn't having it at the start of Fearne's show make it easier to get to?

But if you are listening on the iPlayer, the pips start and then it's straight into 5 minutes of the handover. You don't have to finish listening when the pips end, find Fearne's show and then start the process again. Having it on the end of the show, as it's seemingly always has been, is surely easier?
More recently it seems Fearne ends the handover quite early into the chat, so the five minutes extra on the end of the show covered it nicely. Sometimes, admittedly, the handover would exceed the 5 minutes given by iPlayer so I've had to put on the start of Fearne's show - but this doesn't happen as often. I realise it's an inconvenience to very few people but I was just wondering why it's changed and if it will ever be changed back. :)
Aled wrote:I'm not sure who said what, but the general rule is that the Golden Hour goes back up to 15 years (with Radio 1 audience being 15+ we don't want to exclude the younger audiences) so as the years go on the 15 year Golden Hour history goes with it.

Can I just mention that The Golden Hour happens between 9:00 and 10:00 when all the pre - 15 year olds should be in school, so not specifically catering for them in The Golden Hour is hardly exclusive.
Yudster wrote:I was so sleepy and dozed through most of the show this morning, so I kind of heard bits and maybe dreamed other bits - but did I dream the bit about Chris writing something based on the show? Either a book or a TV series - actually when I write that down it looks like I dreamed it! But did I..?

yes you did :)
By Aled
officialthomasw wrote:Why would 15+ years exclude anyone? I'm coming up to 25 and would love to here more pre 1995 music in the golden hour even the late 80's

It's my hunch that a majority (and by that I DO mean over 50%) of 16 year olds don't share your view.
By Aled
Yudster wrote:

Can I just mention that The Golden Hour happens between 9:00 and 10:00 when all the pre - 15 year olds should be in school, so not specifically catering for them in The Golden Hour is hardly exclusive.

We're looking at 15+ not under 15s. Also, this discussion goes back to a time before I even started at Radio 1. Should Radio 1's target demographic change depending on whether school / college / Uni is on? Current thinking is no, otherwise you get into a whole mess of changing schedules for just school / Uni holidays. You have your demographic and stick to it. 15-30. Which means not doing features that exclude 15 year olds.
By Aled
Emmy wrote:If anything it would be good for a lot of those OMGI youngsters to hear some decent music, isn't it the job of the BBC to inform, educate, and entertain? :-P

:) yes. But teachers and parents educate too and I'd hate us to sound like a Radio version of them
Aled wrote:
officialthomasw wrote:Why would 15+ years exclude anyone? I'm coming up to 25 and would love to here more pre 1995 music in the golden hour even the late 80's

It's my hunch that a majority (and by that I DO mean over 50%) of 16 year olds don't share your view.
I disagree (I don't mean like 60's 70's stuff bar the odd track) - can we do a challenge to see who's right? :P
By Aled
Golden Hour works best when you have the 'oh! LOVE this track or I haven't heard this in ages' feel. You need a whole 30 mins of a year. It works best it the audience remembers it.

Tuesday show is up