Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By Emmy
I've just seen this question asked elsewhere on the forum, and as I was wondering the same thing whilst listening this morning I thought I'd Ask Aled for an answer. How, when Radio 1 now appears to have such a strict policy on what you can and can't say on air, were you able to play Tubthumping by Chumbawamba, complete with the lyrics 'pissing the night away' during today's Golden Hour?

You also played the brilliant 'Love is the Law' by The Seahorses, which contains the lyrics 'She was a rum old slapper and we always tried to get her pants off when she phoned'. If Chris or Dave called someone a slapper on air now (as I can definitely remember them doing on a number of occasions in their afternoon days) I'm sure the studio phone would start ringing the second the words left their mouth. I'm certainly not complaining here, just curious about why the anti-fun police that roam the corridors of power at R1 haven't cracked down on these little things yet? Are there different rules for potentially offensive words when they are part of a song's lyrics?
Last edited by Emmy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Paul
Aled wrote:
Paul wrote:
A Chris Moyles Daily podcast recently appeared on iTunes. Anything to do with the show?

Nope. Bar the Marathon ones over New Year we're sticking to a weekly. I saw one that was an unofficial one.

I was looking at this on itunes and I cannot see how this is unofficial it's got BBC copyright all over it and BBC Radio 1 in the header.

That aside, I really enjoyed it, as did everyone who left a review on the first podcast.

Any other comment?

Paul

I might not be seeing the same thing as you. I see a CMD - a Chris Moyles Daily using the Channel 4 photo and there being 3 episodes of the first three shows of the year. Is that what we're talking about?

I don't see a Channel 4 icon, I see a picture of Chris with "Chris Moyles Daily" next to it. They have the 9-11th January uploaded. I'm looking at them on my iPhone.

Whether this is "original" or "pirate material" isn't really my point. I rarely get up in time to hear 6:30 - 7:00 and really enjoyed just listening to the conversation in the car. I appreciate you want to pull the best bits for the weekly but would it be so wrong to put up a daily given the feedback given on iTunes?

Paul
By Aled
bwfcol wrote:Aled, I see you have Sarah Millican on the show this week, now, I really like Sarah but is she "target"?

Does she really appeal to teens/young 20's?

Yes she does. I don't think anyone could win the People's Choice Award for King or Queen of Comedy at the British Comedy Award if she didn't.
By Aled
Paul wrote:
I was looking at this on itunes and I cannot see how this is unofficial it's got BBC copyright all over it and BBC Radio 1 in the header.

That aside, I really enjoyed it, as did everyone who left a review on the first podcast.

Any other comment?

Paul

That's really what the iplayer is there for, we're the BBC's most downloaded weekly podcast I want to protect that for as long as I can. Over the last 6 months the number of downloaded podcasts have gone up dramatically, if we provided a daily podcast I think the casual listener would soon become inundated with the number to stay on top of.

Paul wrote:I might not be seeing the same thing as you. I see a CMD - a Chris Moyles Daily using the Channel 4 photo and there being 3 episodes of the first three shows of the year. Is that what we're talking about?

I don't see a Channel 4 icon, I see a picture of Chris with "Chris Moyles Daily" next to it. They have the 9-11th January uploaded. I'm looking at them on my iPhone.

Whether this is "original" or "pirate material" isn't really my point. I rarely get up in time to hear 6:30 - 7:00 and really enjoyed just listening to the conversation in the car. I appreciate you want to pull the best bits for the weekly but would it be so wrong to put up a daily given the feedback given on iTunes?

Paul
By Aled
Emmy wrote:I've just seen this question asked elsewhere on the forum, and as I was wondering the same thing whilst listening this morning I thought I'd Ask Aled for an answer. How, when Radio 1 now appears to have such a strict policy on what you can and can't say on air, were you able to play Tubthumping by Chumbawamba, complete with the lyrics 'pissing the night away' during today's Golden Hour?

You also played the brilliant 'Love is the Law' by The Seahorses, which contains the lyrics 'She was a rum old slapper and we always tried to get her pants off when she phoned'. If Chris or Dave called someone a slapper on air now (as I can definitely remember them doing on a number of occasions in their afternoon days) I'm sure the studio phone would start ringing the second the words left their mouth. I'm certainly not complaining here, just curious about why the anti-fun police that roam the corridors of power at R1 haven't cracked down on these little things yet? Are there different rules for potentially offensive words when they are part of a song's lyrics?

The line which is deemed acceptable moves over time and the things that society deems acceptable matures over time. Whenever I talk about this on the here I talk about the fact that I remember Radio 1 used to play songs with reference to the 'N' word when I first joined and no-one felt shocked about it. So there's an example of the line moving in society since even I've been there.

Slapper is a derogatory term to women which offends our female listeners, that's not for me to decide or comment on, if it that's offensive (now) to certain people I'd be very upset to produce a show that openly offended them. Is that what Radio 1's breakfast show is there to do?
By Aled
jamiec21 wrote:Aled,

I saw the BBC news report on the newly named Peel Wing at Broadcasting House. It said Radio 1 and it's staff were due to move to BH in the autumn, is this true, have you a set date, and have you yet started making plans for any final show/first show events?

This is true and yes there's a schedule in place for this autumn.

Dates haven't been decided for specific shows or who should be first or last, I can tell you now we'll be one of the last. We want to iron out as many of the bugs as possible for we put Chris in there and the spotlight he brings to things :)
By Aled
R94N wrote:Who do you usually have the playlist meeting with?

There are 10 of us, it's made up of the Music department (including our Chloe which you'll hear of from time to time) and then producers from around Radio 1 e.g. From all the daytime shows and Zane's show and so on.
Aled is Sarah Jane Crawford going to become your 1xtra simulcast Surgery presenter?

Also know it doesnt directly involve The Chris Moyles Show but what was the thinking behind replacing Record of week with "Big thing" and scrapping the weekend anthem
By Aled
northernsteve wrote:Hi Aled

I was interested that you were putting together a trail for the Surgery last week. Is that something that presenters at Radio 1 usually do themselves or were you just doing a favour for the Surgery producer?

No, it was just me that wanted to take it further than the production team wanted to so I took it on. It's unusual for presenters to get involved!
By Aled
catherine wrote:Hi aled, just wondered how well groomed you are? Do you have your eyebrows done? Get waxed? Have a skin regime? Toni and guy haircuts? Fake tans/ sun beds? Much love. X

Out of that list I moisturise, I have waxed a couple of times and use a light spray tan on my face and that's it :)
Are there any features you and the team would like to bring back but can't for BBC reasons or a change in the P.C climate? (Anything from the breakfast era and pre breakfast).
Hello Aled.Just wondered was the early start on friday a one off or was it with a view to maybe a n new earlier start time on a permanent basis? Would Chris be happy coming in at 6am every day?!I suppose a longer show would improve the RAJARS and maybe we can beat Evans at long last!
By Aled
chrisjames wrote:Hello Aled.Just wondered was the early start on friday a one off or was it with a view to maybe a n new earlier start time on a permanent basis? Would Chris be happy coming in at 6am every day?!I suppose a longer show would improve the RAJARS and maybe we can beat Evans at long last!

Oh God no! Absolutely not! It was a one off pressie for Dev to say thank you for being there if we're late :)
By Aled
slaphead1982 wrote:Are there any features you and the team would like to bring back but can't for BBC reasons or a change in the P.C climate? (Anything from the breakfast era and pre breakfast).

We've not discussed any old features that we can't use. We discuss features that we can't do all the time. We tend to allow ideas to go where they go and then we apply a more realistic approach and see what's left of the idea and whether we still want to do it.
Hi Aled. Does the criticism the show receives from certain news outlets (Daily Mail) annoy you? I know Chris laughs it off but I can imagine some of what is written might upset you as producer of the show.
By R94N
Not really a question, but just wanted to say excellent job with the sexuality night. I listened 9pm-11 and found it quite interesting. Surprised you still managed to get up for the show in the morning though...that's dedication!
Aled, have you got anything planned for Chris' 15th anniversary at Radio 1 in July? Was just going through some old shows and it seems you weren't on the air for his 10th anniversary in 2007, so you missed out on the chance for a special show.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]