Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
DevilsDuck wrote:Another reason the CM breakfast show must continue...it will cost the economy billions in lateness when the show ends.

My only show related timings are

1. Out the door before the pub quiz starts on a Tuesday
2. In the car in time to turn up mcfly day

That's it

You should park closer to your house. :D
Aled - who decides the precedence of Newsbeat stories? The reason I ask is that the headlines today were: Adele being cut off at the Brits - two or three soundbites, lots of time (given the overall length of the news bulletin) given to this story; then 'in other news', over a hundred people have been killed in the latest round of violence in Syria. Now I know that what happened to Adele last night was clearly an unmitigated * up by the Brits and / or ITV and shouldn't have happened, but does it warrant being top of the Newsbeat headlines ahead of hundreds of people being killed in Syria? I mean I know the Syria situation has been ongoing for a while, but to me it's surely a far more important story than Adele not being able to finish her acceptance speech.
Topher wrote:Aled - who decides the precedence of Newsbeat stories? The reason I ask is that the headlines today were: Adele being cut off at the Brits - two or three soundbites, lots of time (given the overall length of the news bulletin) given to this story; then 'in other news', over a hundred people have been killed in the latest round of violence in Syria. Now I know that what happened to Adele last night was clearly an unmitigated * up by the Brits and / or ITV and shouldn't have happened, but does it warrant being top of the Newsbeat headlines ahead of hundreds of people being killed in Syria? I mean I know the Syria situation has been ongoing for a while, but to me it's surely a far more important story than Adele not being able to finish her acceptance speech.

I was coming on to ask exactly the same thing (I did send a message this morning as well). Surely Dom as a journalist cringed when he relegated Syria to the 'in other news' part of the bulletin.

I think I asked Aled ages ago about when we get ridiculous surveys as the headline story to link in with 'Binge Drinking week' or some other bit of BBC 'worthiness' but this was even worse.
I believe at some point in the past I actually started a thread on the news issue, after some story being relegated in the same way. I forget the exact circumstances now, but it's often bothered me. I can only imagine it relates to radio 1's target audience and what they believe their listeners are interested in.
They might well be right, but the BBC should be aware that they ought not to encourage such attitudes amongst their listeners and report the news properly. As I said to someone else, if that's the worst thing that happens to Adele this month, then I'd say she's had a damn good month. Its trivia and should be relegated to the gossip section of any news outlet.
G-Sizzle wrote:I wish this thread would go to being just questions and answers, I'm forever missing Aled's replies as it gets hidden amongst the guff spewed.

Maybe there should be an "Ask Aled: Extra" type thread, where people who aren't directing a question at him can discuss things brought up?
I think creating a separate thread would lead to disjointed conversations that made no sense. As long as people stay largely on topic, which we are in this instance, I don't think its too much of a problem. Aled has an avatar and a big old signature, I find spotting his posts easy enough.
Aled, is Chris and/or Dave planning to write and record some new parodies for the show, or is Chris saving them all for another album? I must admit, I don't like Chris' plan to seemingly have them all recorded by the original artists, sounds like a massive ego trip to me. The charm has always been with Chris and/or Dave and/or Dom singing them, makes it more unique to the show.
Aled, how do you feel the Birthday Show went? On this forum at least, it is fair to say it hasn't been met with universal approval. There have been suggestions that it was too self-indulgent and didn't pay enough attention to the listeners at home.

How do you think it went, especially compared to other shows? With hindsight would you have done anything differently? I did prefer last years if I am honest, but I did like the orchestra and jingle singers from this year.
By Paul
A Chris Moyles Daily podcast recently appeared on iTunes. Anything to do with the show?

Nope. Bar the Marathon ones over New Year we're sticking to a weekly. I saw one that was an unofficial one.

I was looking at this on itunes and I cannot see how this is unofficial it's got BBC copyright all over it and BBC Radio 1 in the header.

That aside, I really enjoyed it, as did everyone who left a review on the first podcast.

Any other comment?

Paul
By Aled
Topher wrote:Aled - who decides the precedence of Newsbeat stories? .

That would be the news editor on the morning. News is not something I'm trained in or work in so I don't know what their briefs are and how they relate to our audience.
By Aled
Deadly wrote:Hi Aled, will the music love/hate game ever make a return? I really enjoyed that feature.

Possibly. If there was a way of giving it a new focus, maybe a new guest or something who's Love / Hate would be interesting.
By Aled
jamiec21 wrote:Aled, is Chris and/or Dave planning to write and record some new parodies for the show, or is Chris saving them all for another album? I must admit, I don't like Chris' plan to seemingly have them all recorded by the original artists, sounds like a massive ego trip to me. The charm has always been with Chris and/or Dave and/or Dom singing them, makes it more unique to the show.

I think Chris is thinking of doing more parodies on the show. We all want it. The talk of a new album on air was the first I'd heard of it.
By Aled
Travis Bickle wrote:Aled, how do you feel the Birthday Show went? On this forum at least, it is fair to say it hasn't been met with universal approval. There have been suggestions that it was too self-indulgent and didn't pay enough attention to the listeners at home.

How do you think it went, especially compared to other shows? With hindsight would you have done anything differently? I did prefer last years if I am honest, but I did like the orchestra and jingle singers from this year.

I thought it was incredibly successful. It fulfilled the brief Freya and I set ourselves perfectly. We wanted to show what the BBC and Radio 1 could achieve when given the opportunity, of trying something new, bold and ambitious at breakfast which has never been done before, of taking something like the BBC orchestra and fusing it with some of Pop's biggest names of the moment. All while surprising Chris and have him go on the journey with the listener and using guests who were friends of the show.

The feedback from the text, Twitter (and some could argue the Daily Mail piece) was very positive in achieving what we set out to achieve, on this forum not so much - which obviously I've taken on board for next Year's show.
By Aled
Paul wrote:
A Chris Moyles Daily podcast recently appeared on iTunes. Anything to do with the show?

Nope. Bar the Marathon ones over New Year we're sticking to a weekly. I saw one that was an unofficial one.

I was looking at this on itunes and I cannot see how this is unofficial it's got BBC copyright all over it and BBC Radio 1 in the header.

That aside, I really enjoyed it, as did everyone who left a review on the first podcast.

Any other comment?

Paul

I might not be seeing the same thing as you. I see a CMD - a Chris Moyles Daily using the Channel 4 photo and there being 3 episodes of the first three shows of the year. Is that what we're talking about?
Aled wrote:
Paul wrote:

Any other comment?

Paul

I might not be seeing the same thing as you. I see a CMD - a Chris Moyles Daily using the Channel 4 photo and there being 3 episodes of the first three shows of the year. Is that what we're talking about?

I just looked at it and it is in no way an official podcast nor are they trying to fob themselves off as being so. Plus it's the first half hour of the show, so hardly a best of (You know what I mean).
Aled wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:Aled, how do you feel the Birthday Show went?

I thought it was incredibly successful...................taking something like the BBC orchestra and fusing it with some of Pop's biggest names of the moment.

The BBC Orchestra are immense and using them was inspired. I agree it worked very well. I think I enjoyed the birthday show more than many on here did and that orchestra is a lot to do with why! I love the Jingle Singers too and its alwas great to be able to hear them live. And I share your enthusiasm for Pixie Lott's performance, although the song was just a BIT too much for me!

It must have been a mountain of work for you and your team Al, if no one on here has said a proper "well done" for that (because what was done was extremely well done), then let me do so. Well done!
Aled wrote:
Deadly wrote:Hi Aled, will the music love/hate game ever make a return? I really enjoyed that feature.

Possibly. If there was a way of giving it a new focus, maybe a new guest or something who's Love / Hate would be interesting.

Could be a way of freshening up 'regular guests' appearance like Davina, Jimmy & Alan Carr etc.

Speaking of which, what on earth has Justin Lee Collins been doing for the last year? His exclusivity deal with C5 has been a huge mistake - although now he gets to indulge his ego in 'Monsters of Rock' or whatever it is...
Bloody hell, I missed that news story. No wonder they haven't bigged him up on the show much recently.
Wow. Who'd have thought it? I'd still like a hug off him though.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]