Always wanted to know something about the show? This is the place to 'Ask Aled'!
By Chris
It's a welcome return of the popular 'Ask Aled' section - if you've something you wish to ask him about the radio show, his job, his hobbies, or whatever you like ... this is the place to do it.

Please keep this section on topic, and keep your questions both sensible and reasonable. Aled will choose which he wishes to answer, no guarantees!
Hey!

Hello everyone. I've been talking to Chris (site owner) and we agreed we both missed the Ask Aled feature so here it is back- reinstated now in it's 8th part! Woo-hoo! Who'd have thought I would have lasted long enough on the show to warrant an 8-part Ask Aled section on this site.

A couple of disclaimers.

Feel free to ask anything, as Chris says ask me anything on Radio 1, the playlist, The Chris Moyles Show, myself etc, but as I'm sure you'll appreciate you won't always get a reply (you like). I can't answer on other people's behalf so questions that start "what does Chris...?" or "when does Chris...?" I can't answer. I doubt very much other team members would want me speaking on their behalf but on some occasions I can of course ask them if they have a reply.

There may be times I won't answer straight up questions about the show. It's obviously a team effort so even as one of the producers I wouldn't be able to reveal too much in case there is a plan to reveal it at a particular time.

Apart from that, if I know the answer, it's yours!

Aled
x
S4B wrote:Aled, cariad

1. If you didn't work with Chris who would you work with and why?
2. Would you rather work in Radio or TV?

Shw'mae!

1. I really can't imagine anymore not working with Chris to be honest. I would like to change of skills if I was to ever be taken off the show, I'd like to perhaps take on a new presenter and nurture them into their new role e.g. The new chart or Dick and Dom. (incidentally that's where Joce is going - to produce Dick and Dom)

2. It sounds like a cop-out but genuinely I love both. Ask anyone on the team and they'll tell you the strengths and weaknesses of radio vs TV match exactly. Small teams in radio are great, getting ideas on air quickly are great, but the money and size of TV shows are very exciting too. One day I'd like to produce both.
timp wrote:Aled, what new things in the way of features can we expect on The Chris Moyles Show in the near future?

Now, surely you wouldn't want me ruining things for you?! But as ever on The Chris Moyles Show - if it ain't broke don't fix it so we evolve over time rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater and start from scratch overnight!

We've mentioned that Who Knows Dom was killed off. Tune in to Scott on Friday to find out what has replaced that - essentially though it's another Dom based feature as, well he's a legend!

Also expect a new news based feature. This time presented by Chris and Dave not Dom.

Competitions (shh!) aren't lifted yet on the BBC so there's no CPC and we've avoided the urge by some to fill the new half hour with useless features as that's not what people listen to the show for, we've just used it to make certain sections of the show breathe better.
Bore da Aled.

1) My first question is, who is your favourite member of this forum?
2) Secondly, would you jump at the chance of hosting a Welsh speaking radio show, even though it would mean leaving London?
Aled, welcome back.

1. Why the break? You've been missed.
2. Would you do Strictly Come Dancing if asked? The other Aled Jones did, you'd be better.
3. Why did you say on the show that "we" hated The Golden Hour, when the overwhelming response to it on here was positive? There was one person who didn't like it, and thats about it!
Last edited by Yudster on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ga i hanner o beint o sudd oren os gwelwch yn dda Aled.

Welcome back to the Forum! Contrary to popular belief we don't bite and we do actually love the show! :D

When you have a guest in, we know that you talk to them before they come on air and 'prep' them.
How is this done? are they made to listen to the show beforehand to make sure they actually know what they're in for?
I mean, do they realise they aren't going to be in for a 'parkinson' style interview and that it'll be alot more relaxed?
Has this put anyone off? Do some guests really come in with a huge entourage and do you have to deal with Rider Requests?

Thanks Aled!
Aled, re: the PLAYLIST - I understand Madonna has a new album out in November... this is already October 10th, and there seems to be no sign of R1 picking any tracks up so far in advance of its release ... will this be happening soon? Thanx :-)
Prynhawn da Aled. Croeso!

(1) In line w/Zoot's question above, who has arrived w/the largest entourage?
(2) Who was the most unpleasant or rude guest that you have had to deal with personally?
(3) Have you ever considered teaching the team a few phrases of Welsh on air for a feature?
(4) Will you ever bring Viaduct back?

Diolch! :D
S4B wrote:
Aled wrote: One day I'd like to produce both.

So would you never want to present, just produce?

I love presenting, but it'll never be my career. I love producing, presenting's a hobby.
Ballbag wrote:Bore da Aled.

1) My first question is, who is your favourite member of this forum?
2) Secondly, would you jump at the chance of hosting a Welsh speaking radio show, even though it would mean leaving London?

1) it would have to be Console but that would be because he's such a genius at all website stuff - seeing as he helped build my site I may be a little biased there.
2) I certainly would jump at the chance, but not if it meant leaving London and certainly not if it meant leaving The Chris Moyles Show. Cardiff's only 2 hours away on the train you know.
Yudster wrote:Aled, welcome back.

1. Why the break? You've been missed.
2. Would you do Strictly Come Dancing if asked? The other Aled Jones did, you'd be better.
3. Why did you say on the show that "we" hated The Golden Hour, when the overwhelming response to it on here was positive? There was one person who didn't like it, and thats about it!

1) The break happened because I got particularly busy so wasn't able to update the questions as often and well, use it or lose it... Back now though.
2) I think you know I would do it. With my Michael Jackson dancing training as a kid I've no doubt I WOULD do better, but he's more famous than me so the Choirboy it is. In any case that show is for an older audience than the cm show attracts so they wouldn't know who I was.
3) sorry. I've been told off by Console about this too. When I logged in the first glimpse impression I got was that you didn't like it. If you,re a fan then, just maybe, there's good news coming for you.
Ballbag wrote:1) My first question is, who is your favourite member of this forum?.

Aled wrote:1) it would have to be Console but that would be because he's such a genius at all website stuff - seeing as he helped build my site I may be a little biased there.

Hmph... you've change Aled. We're through.... *sniff sniff*...... and you had me at hello.
Zoot wrote:Ga i hanner o beint o sudd oren os gwelwch yn dda Aled.

Welcome back to the Forum! Contrary to popular belief we don't bite and we do actually love the show! :D

When you have a guest in, we know that you talk to them before they come on air and 'prep' them.
How is this done? are they made to listen to the show beforehand to make sure they actually know what they're in for?
I mean, do they realise they aren't going to be in for a 'parkinson' style interview and that it'll be alot more relaxed?
Has this put anyone off? Do some guests really come in with a huge entourage and do you have to deal with Rider Requests?

Thanks Aled!

Siwr, dim problem.

Essentially yes, a large portion of the 'prep' involves the guest hearing as much of the show as possible so that by the time they get into the studio they're as in tune with the show and the general mood as possible.

Without wanting to sound too arsey however nowadays people have asked to come on so the vast majority of guests know the show. I tend to find it's only really the American guests that need training on the show's mood!

Apart from that, I brief them on the audience, remind them of the age group that could be listening - casually drop into conversation the amount of listeners we have :-). And remind them of who's who, who'll be in the studio with them, where to sit and the mic and headphone setup.

As for riders, no generally I've found it's more of a myth with the entourage. Saying that of course it's rare we get the real divas as the pr companies know by now how honest we are so they don't give us their more difficult artists as they know we'll rip into them on-air.
scamp88 wrote:Hi Aled!!

Chirs is coming to cardiff 2morrow, and i am worried about going to see him! Is he as nice as he seems on the radio!?

Liz xx

He will be lovely I promise you. Tell him you post on this site - it'll make you stand out a little! :-)
Do you think that when Chris is away Scott Mills makes a conscious effort to sabotage the show by being so appallingly bad the listening figures drop to a level they actually might never recover from? Because if he isn't doing it on purpose, its a really big accident.
Aled, sorry I don't know any Welsh !

I just wondered what you think of the show Scotts been doing ?

Parping Men and Phallic Henry Tugging, Randy Beavers & Bell Ends, all very targeted to the more juvenile ( perhaps Target ) audience, where is we here, who do love the show, are all a bit "Past it" - Should Chris be worried ????
hi aled
Love the show and have got a few questions i hope you could answer.

1. Following the success of your birthday show. Would chris give you a regular slot too do your thing. Say each week or would radio 1 bosses even consider giving you your own slot. The ratings would be good because obviously alot of moyles fans would listen too your show. I've seen you said you see presenting as a hobby. Would it become a job. So if asked. Would you like too present?

2. What advice could you give too people like myself who would like too get into the world of radio. What things could i do too get myself noticed.

3. In a recent podcast. Chris asked you in the out take about rachaels fiancee. Could you enlighten us on what was said?

Kind regards.
Paul penketh.
wireman2004 wrote:hi aled
3. In a recent podcast. Chris asked you in the out take about rachaels fiancee. Could you enlighten us on what was said?

Kind regards.
Paul penketh.

Yeah i Think i know what was being said, but i dont know if my mind is really that dirty and it wasnt what i thought it was

Liz xx
I'm not too up to speed on my Welsh, so I'll say hello in Scottish...

Awrite.

Question: If the show / station didn't have any constraints with regards to budget - what would you or the rest of the team like to do with the show? Is there anything that you would like to have done but can't because it would have cost way too much?

Thank you both!!