Latest news postings and site updates
Sources claim the star is not returning to the BBC despite him not being sacked from the broadcaster

Chris Moyles’s BBC radio comeback has been axed after talks about where to put him failed, a source claimed.

Bosses insisted the ­loudmouth DJ, 39, was not being sacked when he left his breakfast slot in September.

But executives at Radio 1, 2, and 5 Live are said to have gone cold on his return.

A source said his BBC ­comeback is now “highly unlikely”.

They added: “He wasn’t very keen on their offer of a late-night slot and stalled talks for a long time, so bosses gave it to another pair of DJs in January.

“Some of the other ­suggestions were launching new projects on Radio 2 or on Radio 5 Live, but executives weren’t convinced he was right for their audiences.

“It looks like if there is any chance of a radio comeback, it won’t be on the BBC.”

Chris’s £1million deal had been due to continue until the end of this year, but it is understood he is no longer being paid by the Beeb.

I think we could have guessed this since the xmas period.

Still sad though. I guess Talksport or Absolute are the only potential gigs for Chris in the immediate future. I think we could say its pretty likely (?) that Talksport offer him a special seasonal xmas show, like Brand and Gallagher. I hope he would accept such an offer.

Saying that, I expect part of the reason for the fallout with Radio 2 and 5live is because Chris wants to keep the same wage he had at R1, or near to it. After a couple of years that will prob not be an issue (unless his TV career explodes). Under those circumstances can see a comeback on Radio 2.
Fathomer wrote:I think we could have guessed this since the xmas period.

Still sad though. I guess Talksport or Absolute are the only potential gigs for Chris in the immediate future. I think we could say its pretty likely (?) that Talksport offer him a special seasonal xmas show, like Brand and Gallagher. I hope he would accept such an offer.

Saying that, I expect part of the reason for the fallout with Radio 2 and 5live is because Chris wants to keep the same wage he had at R1, or near to it. After a couple of years that will prob not be an issue (unless his TV career explodes). Under those circumstances can see a comeback on Radio 2.

Ditto on the first point, but are the BBC becoming blind to the fact retaining Chris on another network would be the best thing for Radio 1? And I don't buy the salary thing. Chris Evans is reported to be on £600,000/year on Radio 2. I guess having both on the station could be brilliant or disastrous (with past clashes). Is it not nearing the time broadcasters such as Ken Bruce/Jeremy Vine/Steve Wright need to be pushed on at the some point? If these guys aren't moving, Moyles can't fit in anywhere on the station. To have Moyles back on Radio 2 drive-time would be a huge for the station. I think it's all down to timing though.

If Chris refuses to go back on radio, he really should be spending his time setting up or helping out radio academies train the next generation. Especially if he really thinks he's been replaced by the celebrity-craver without an ounce of radio broadcasting talent. I've still got a little money on being delusional and thinking we may see Moyles back on Radio 1 for the short-term if Grimshaw flops at the next two RAJARs really badly.
Loudmouth DJ. Check.

I think he has a problem on his hands with landing another BBC radio show. Daytime wise, neither 5 Live and Radio 2 seem to be fits for him. If Ken Bruce/Jeremy Vine/Steve Wright/Simon Mayo all suddenly disappeared, I still don't think he'd be in the running for their shows.

I really wish he took that late night slot on Radio 1 when he had the chance - it would have been the best show on Radio.
Radio1 only ever wanted him in that latenight slot because they wanted to keep some of his audience on the station even if that audience wasn't listening to the breakfast show. But if you're Chris and you're arguably the most successful radio1 breakfast presenter of all time where do you go afterwards?

The only job in radio comparable to the radio1 breakfast show is the radio2 breakfast show and that's not likely on the cards. So I reckon Chris will do some kind of online only subscription podcast/show, he's in a pretty unique situation because in the past, when you left a show like the breakfast show, you didn't have a personal twitter account with millions of subscribers that you could talk too directly.

Chris does and I'm hoping that in the end some kind of online only venture is what he does because I think it'd end up being better than any actual radio show he might end up doing.
Don't agree with that. The Late night show will have been offered to begin a slow transition between Radio 1 and 2. Following the pattern set by Whiley/Cox/Mayo. It would have lasted 18 months max.

That said, I think Chris was right to leave Radio 1 when he left the Breakfast Show. Better to go out with a bang.

In long term (maybe 5 years) I think the Steve Wright slot will be perfect for Chris. Wont happen for a while though.
Ah well, sad though as I've been waiting for Chris to do something new for ages and I think he would have done quite well with Nick Grimshaw's old slot.

I agree with some of the other comments too, I think that Chris should do a weekly podcast.
JayE wrote:Ah well, sad though as I've been waiting for Chris to do something new for ages and I think he would have done quite well with Nick Grimshaw's old slot.

I agree with some of the other comments too, I think that Chris should do a weekly podcast.

In the short term I could see him filling in for Steve Wright when he is off. I think that could be a good way of introducing him to the radio 2 audience with scope to a longer term project.
JayE wrote:To be fair I quite like that idea, I think he should do that, he could be great on radio 2.

Well that's it decided then.

Good work all round guys.

*pats everyone on the back*

Everyone wrote:Hey ya dick, you just made me spill coffee down my shirt.

Serves you right for drinking coffee ya fanny.

*Walks off*
Surely he has to bite the bullet and go commercial... I know he may have "other projects" and any future show wouldn't be the same with adverts and without Dave and Dom etc. but he's a great radio presenter (as listening figures over many years prove) and can't see him having the same success in anything else.

TV's never really worked for him, he just doesn't look comfortable on camera to me. Best he will get is the obligatory C-list daytime game show that most minor celebrities seem to do these days, or midweek lottery or something similar... An online-only venture will never get mass audiences and there's a real chance of him just becoming a forgotten man and restricted to celebrity reality shows and that sort of thing.
I was hoping that Chris would take over a high profile slot on radio 2, but now that's not happening, surely the obvious place is commercial. Just think what audience Chris could pull into a station, they'd be a queue a mile long for advertisers wanting to get their ad played during his show. Yes the ads would be annoying, but no more annoying than the b****ks music that's played on radio 1 anyhow.
He's still fairly young in the career of a broadcaster - not saying he'll be active at Wogan/Blackburn's age, but there is at least another 10-15 years in him (if not significantly more).

I think his career break seems long for us as we're fans, but don't forget - Chris Evans had a 4 year 'break' and set up a production company when he was at a similar age to Chris, only to come back more mellow with an altered style.

Chris needs to come back when the time is right. I think he will get a talk show on some network, which will have a similar format to that one Frank Skinner had on ITV ages ago - and it might work.
G-Sizzle wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Chris might never do full time radio again?

I don't think he's written it off completely. Chris is a born radio entertainer, I think in time he will realise that and start doing radio again. I'm sure he will be back at some point.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]