Latest news postings and site updates
By Chris
Loudmouth Chris Moyles’s bid to launch a TV career has taken a major blow after Channel 4 axed his show, privately declaring that ‘he just doesn’t work on screen’.

Since being dumped by Radio 1’s breakfast show, Moyles, 39, has made TV stardom his goal, even shedding over 5st to be more appealing to HD cameras.

The DJ has also cut ties with his loyal agent of ten years, Vivienne Clore, to sign with James Grant, the agency that represents prime-time stars Ant and Dec, Holly Willoughby and Vernon Kay.

However, Channel 4 bosses have decided Chris Moyles’s Quiz Night, which ran for six series between 2008 and 2012, will not return. And they do not want to work with the DJ on another project.

Meanwhile, Sky Living dating show, Love Machine, which he hosts with former X Factor contestant Stacey Solomon, is also unlikely to be back.

My Channel 4 insider explains: ‘We tried with Chris. But the reality is he just doesn’t work on screen.
'Viewers never took to him. The problem wasn’t with the Quiz Night format, it was with Chris himself.’

Moyles had hoped to make another series of Quiz Night following his stint as King Herod in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar.

But it is now back to the drawing board. A source close to him tells me: ‘He’s in America working on new projects.
Channel 4 was never the be all and end all to his future on TV. He’s very confident of having big news soon.’

However, Moyles has infuriated executives at the BBC since they replaced him on Radio 1’s breakfast show with Nick Grimshaw because he was considered too old for the youth station.

He’s been taken off the BBC payroll after he refused to consider a new role, despite being on a £1 million, two-year contract until 2014.

(from Daily Mail)
Daily Mail with unnamed 'insiders'. Hmm...
I've no doubt it is true. The scheduling for the last series of Quiz Night was awful and the show was hardly promoted. Quiz Night was the only TV I've liked him doing. It was quite an entertaining show but not good enough to ensure a long term TV career for Chris.

Get back on the radio!!! It's what you are good at!
I'm sure it's true that they've dropped Quiz Night; I have serious doubts over whether the quote is attributable to anyone except a Daily Mail reporter.
I always quite enjoyed it, and I got to be in the audience once, it was certainly a full audience with no empty seats.

Plus I won £14 for backing the winner of the quiz. Thanks Chris, you paid for a Nando's that night! :D
it's a shame to read this. I always liked Quiz Night.

I'd like to see the rumors of his setting up a media company for smartphones become a reality. Its something new and differnt that I think would work quite well.

Especially if its backed by a media giant like Moylesy
and of course my media giant i mean someone who has spent his life in radio, became a highly succsessful presenter of the UK's second biggest breakfast show to over 8 MILLION people, had a few TV shows, raised over £10 million for comic releif...

People all across the UK know who Chris Moyles is...

so i stick by my statement of media giant.

and to be honest, i'd be unwilling to work for the BBC after they binned me off for being 'too old'

besides, if the target audience for radio 1 is 15-29 tear olds, then grimmys only got another year to go before he too becomes "too old".

Theres plenty of other radio networks he could work for, some which are failing miserably and to be honest could do with the input of someone like Chris. Someone who actually loves the industry he is in...
Simon Cowell is a media giant.

There's your difference. I'd say that Chris falls under the category of 'Veteran Radio Heavyweight'. Exposure to the public doesn't make you a 'giant' - otherwise people from TOWIE, MIC or This Morning would also qualify. David Walliams raised a shed load of cash for comic relief, had a wildly successful skit show and broke America (albeit briefly) but still doesn't count as a media giant.

The biggest point here is that Chris WAS too old for Radio 1. He appealed to young listeners - but also to old listeners. He was expensive, and didn't fulfil the criteria which the BBC trust (governed by representatives for the public) has set out for Radio 1's funding. Essentially, Radio 1 were sacrificing their mission statement in order to appeal to the largest audience possible. That's not what they get public funding for. There's no personal insult there, just the natural ending of an era.

Grimmy appeals to very young listeners. He's fully engrained within their culture - whereas Chris was not. He didn't like rubbish teen pop, he didn't like hard bass, he made fun of people like Justin Bieber. Like it or not, Chris did not exclusively, or explicitly appeal to Radio 1's target audience. You don't have to be part of a target audience to appeal to them.

And while Chris loves Radio - the reason that he's not on the airwaves today is purely because nothing big enough has presented itself. He could walk to any commercial radio station and get a prime slot - but he hasn't yet. Why? We don't know - but I think that his ego won't let him take anything less than a step sideways.
Chris spent so long deriding commercial radio, "Johnny Yawn" and "Crapital" spring to mind, along with jingles sung by ex-Capital jingle singers, I'm not sure if he'd ever go back to commercial radio.
Is it now getting to the time to think that chris moyles' career at the top is most likely over.

My views are based on that when Steve wright retires. Chris will be off radio too long to be relevent

Sara cox is being groomed for radio 2. Maybe take over ken bruce.

Mayo and Evans probably have a good 5 - 10 years in there positions on.breakfast and drive.

As mentioned in other topics. The natural radio 2 slot would of been Steve wright. But as I've already mentioned. That could be 5 years away. So as I've said would chris still be relevent.

A move to capital or galaxy. But would he want breakfast or drive. Which have to be local DJs for those slots.would he take what he would feel as a demotion to mid morning. Or a 10pm. Slot that he has already reported as turning down on radio 1.
Or, as I've been banging on about for yonks, he could do a podcast. It's the future. No radio station needed.

By JayE
Yeah, actually that's not a bad idea and I wouldn't mind subscribing to a podcast if Chris Moyles did one, as long as he gets a good co host or maybe even someone from the old Chris Moyles Show team, he could easily draw in listeners as he has 3 million followers on Twitter and can plug it on there, and they are so easy to set up. Great Idea.
The quote from the person who said he was permanently damaged...Chris Evans disappeared completely for 5 years between 2001 and 6 and came back.

Production or Podcasting could be a viable route, as would a breakfast show in somewhere like Shanghai or Dubai where he could be paid millions to broadcast to expats.

Once youve been at the top and love radio I can think of worse things then freelance exec production.
By ess
Fathomer wrote:a breakfast show in somewhere like Shanghai or Dubai where he could be paid millions to broadcast to expats.

Thats dreaming thinking he could get paid millions for either of those cities! Maybe 10's of thousands. Half of the 250k brits in Dubai fled in 08! Although some more have started going over. Considering he got paid 600k for a potential audience of 60+ mill.

I would think he's fine to just lay low for a half a decade and then come back, but doing voice overs for pretty much the lowest end of the food market makes you wonder.

Editing gap to come for a few days.