Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
Well, you have to do what you think is right really. If someone else isn't going to sort it, then you have to do it yourself. You shouldn't, but you do.
Is that yours or someone else's that you scraped? What happened?
I did something very similar just after passing my test. Completely and disgustingly misjudged space between me and a wall - scraped the bodywork, burst the bumper and uncoupled the headlight. Pricey mistake.

You have my sympathy, and empathy Ben.
Ah, you young 'uns and your minor scrapes... Wouldn't worry about it boys, as a statistic, its gonna happen sooner or later; at least neither of you were injured.

Ben - as you say, at least another car wasn't involved.

'Zoid - Spatial awareness and hazard planning are the two main points of 'advance driving', dunny beat yourself up if you rubbed up against something when a newly passed driver... S'all learning curves.
My brother pulled out of his parking space when he first passed his test and completely failed to realise that he needed to pull forward a bit before turning to avoid scraping the car next door... unfortunately this was at home and the car next door was the nextdoor neighbours, so more embarrassment.
When me and chums were younger, on a massive group day out to Alton Towers, one of my friends braked too late at a round-a-bout approach and rear-ended the car in front... which was also part of our convoy! Doh!
Oh I've done that before after a table tennis match, gone into one of my opponents (who also used to be my teammate). Luckily the only damage was to my car, but it needed a new bonnet.
So... New car back in August. picked my gal up on Saturday lunchtime, got a mile down the road and the clutch failed..!

Got car into garage this morning and got a hire car to cover me for Christmas, assuming the worst; timescales wise, not expecting to get it fixed before x-mas...

Result! not only can garage get it done by tomorrow, saving me £100 on the hire car, but the (majority of) the bill for work is being covered by my warranty! (wasn't expecting this as clutches are not covered by warranty as they are 'wear n tear' items, but as it was flywheel failure which has destroyed clutch, it is covered!!)

£900 worth of clutch, dual-mass flywheel and associated labour, actually costing me £40 (plus £35 for hire car)..! BONUS!!!

Still, £75 down at wrong time of year, but better to have to find £75 from somewhere than £900!

the relief flowing through me now is immense.
Everyone seems to be having car problems at the moment!

My car nearly ended up leaking on my way into work this morning, most of Mid-Kent's roads were either flooded or littered with trees...

A couple of snapshots from my dashcam...

Edit: Aaargh super hi-res, made clickable. Album link: http://imgur.com/a/DRe0C
It's a lot like that around here too at the moment. Given that my Megane's exhaust is being very noisy (not sure if it's a hole or just coming loose and no time or money to investigate), I took the ever fabulous Kia to the farm to get my Christmas meat and discovered first hand why the tiny village of Ford Street is so named.
As promised, an update - mainly for JamesH!

So, after 2 years of owning the Mondeo ST (2.2 diesel), I got fed up of it (more to it than that, but not going into details) and have gone back to something FAR less sensible.

Have now got a RenaultSport Megane..! Me being me, it has....

Full Milltek exhaust system, including Sports CAT*
Forge BOV*
K&N induction kit
silicone turbo intake hose
re-mapped to 260bhp

* already fitted to car before I bought it

Needless to say; it goes like stink, makes all the right noises (sucking in air on the throttle and tsssshing with the BOV) and being a RS Megane, handles like a dream. I fecking love it.

Will try to dig up a pic...
Cor that looks tasty. My friend had one of these and it was a weapon and a half!

I've had a couple of cars since the end of the show in 2012, and I'm not sure I shared them here so here we go...

My current daily driver is this:
Toyota Celica VVTi 140 - Nothing amazing performance wise but handles like a go-kart!

I had this for a year or so before it got too many things wrong with it :(
Nissan Stagea RS FOUR - Essentially a Skyline estate - with a 2.5 turbo lump inside and the ATTESSA 4WD system from the GT-R. Went like shit off the proverbial shovel, and I miss it :(

I was then offered this by a friend to replace it (for some reason I always have two cars!)
Audi Cabriolet 2.6E V6. Only 150bhp but more torquey than the Celica and hey, it's got no roof! :D About to retire it to the garage for the winter though as the nights draw in
I've just read through this entire thread -- there are some knowledgeable people here!

I'm looking to buy a car soon and I'm hoping you'll be able to offer up your advice.

Of late, I've been commuting by train in the main, but with a new job, I can only practically get there by car. I have been cycling there up to now, but that's getting old and the route is one of the "red routes" -- the most dangerous roads in the county, and I'm not planning on dying yet. :D

So, the deets:

My commute is about 20 to 35 miles per week or ~2,000 miles per year. I'm guessing on 2,500 miles in total per year including other use, so very little mileage.

Initially, I want to buy something dirt cheap, as I don't know how long the current gig will last. I may end up upgrading to a nicer model later, but I'm looking for something to last a year or so.

My budget is around £500. Maybe more, if needed.

As to what car, the only cars I don't think will work are very small cars like the Micra and Corsa. I've driven both in the past and they're just too small for me. I can barely drive them! I had no problem fitting in my MkII MR2s, though. I'm not a giant!

It'd be nice to get something with cheap insurance and VED, but not essential.

I don't really care about the cosmetic side -- it appears dealers will sell off P/X cars at very low prices when they have a couple of dents, although that does make me worry about more major unseeen damage -- would a history check cover all that?

I'm not bothered about the manufacturer, but obviously prefer something reliable. Performance isn't really an issue, as the distances covered are fairly short. MPG probably won't be too much of an issue either, as I won't be doing many miles.

I'm veering towards buying a s***box from a dealer as then at least there's some comeback if something goes wrong, but I'm wary of dodgy-looking dealers in Auto Trader with photos that look like they're taken in odd places.

Should I be wary of that? How do you determine a trustworthy dealer? Should I look at Gumtree and/or eBay? I think I'd need to take someone along who knows cars, though.

I'm in Surrey and will happily travel up to 20 miles, possibly further if necessary.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Cheers,

Neil.