Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By bmstinton93
Maybe it's because she didn't actually know until 20 weeks, or because of her age.
By Yudster
To be fair, different health authorities do them at different times. And you're right, if there is anything unusual about the pregnancy or the circumstances, they will do them whenever they are deemed to be needed.

Also, if she didn't know until 20 weeks, there is likely to be a bit of guesswork involved in the EDD and how far the pregnancy has actually gone. When they aren't 100% sure they measure the foetus on the scan, and calculate (going by the average size of a foetus) how far along it is based on the size. This has its obvious drawbacks for instance if, like me, you grow large babies. I had my 12 week scan with Baby Yudster and I KNEW it was 12 weeks (I knew when I had conceived) and they measured him and told me I was actually 16 weeks, and re-calculated my EDD accordingly. I ignored this because I didn't think it would make much difference, except that I delivered early. However - the hospital insisted that their date was correct, and that I was therefore only 2 weeks early which is nothing to worry about. I however knew that I was actually 6 weeks early, which very possibly MIGHT be something to worry about. When he was born, he was big - so again, they assumed full term, fine - but he had minor breathing difficulties. Because of his size this was ignored and not treated which I think contributed to his cardio-pulmonary problems as a baby and toddler.

If he had gone to term though he'd have been about 12lb I reckon, so on the whole I'm glad he didn't!
By DevilsDuck
Yudster wrote:

If he had gone to term though he'd have been about 12lb I reckon, so on the whole I'm glad he didn't!

I bet the hole was glad too!
By dimtimjim
Like trying to suck a grapefruit through a straw...
By MK Chris
The skull has a soft spot that hardens over time after the baby is born, so that it can be squeezed. But yes, eeek is still a bit of an understatement.
By bmstinton93
Think Katie's is supposed to be even bigger than that. She did tell me the size of it but I've completely forgotten.
By Nicola_Red
I have no idea why I keep reading this thread, it freaks me out. Soft spots on skulls, argh.
By MK Chris
When young babies breathe (hopefully all the time...) you can see the soft spot on top of the skull going in and out.
By dimtimjim
bmstinton93 wrote:Think Katie's is supposed to be even bigger than that.

Oh, poor Benji, you won't even be touching the sides soon... 8O
By dimtimjim
You ever flicked a toothpick into a volcano?! :?
By Yudster
Don't be rude. As long as you do your PFE there's no problem.
By a-moron
Yudster wrote:As long as you do your PFE there's no problem.

Pinky Fist Elbow?
By dimtimjim
Yudster wrote:Don't be rude.

Soz.

Yudster wrote: As long as you do your PFE there's no problem.

???

I'm guessing the F and E stand for 'fanny exercise' ( :? ), but can't figure out what the P is for....?
By a-moron
Pull Flaps Erroneously.
By Yudster
chrysostom wrote:Prolonged Fanny Elasticity.

Pelvic Floor Exercises which lead to what Chrysostom said.
By a-moron
Och aye, thone thingymejigs ye need tae dae tae stop yersel pishing aw doon yer leg if ye laugh or sneeze or such like.

(Don't know why I felt compelled to Scottish-ize my post but * me, it disnae half look like Chrome has released a platoon of red worms to deal with the situation.)
By bmstinton93
Considering writing a letter to my parents in a few months to tell them about this. Is this a really bad idea?

Small editing gap to come