Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By Nicola_Red
I was tempted to put this in General as it does relate to R1, but not specifically to Moyles, so...Chris, feel free to move if you see fit.

This morning on the news you may have heard Dom immediately follow a heartbreaking story about a brain-dead woman kept alive so that her baby could be delivered with an item about the Prodigy collaborating with Dave Grohl. They've done stuff like that before and this morning it felt really jarring and inappropriate. It's not news and it's trivial to say the very least.

And yeah, I know the news is sad/depressing to some degree every day, but sometimes I just feel like R1 could be more sensitive and save their precious little music exclusives for another occasion. (Not that I care what the Prodigy or Dave Grohl are doing, in my opinion they both ceased to be important sometime around the year 2000, but that's not my point.) Is it just me?
By dimtimjim
Hmmmmm.... tricky one.... R1's news aim is to provide interestig snippits from the worlds press that suit the target ref audience.....

I know what your saying, almost be-littles the previous subject, but whats the alternative? that they hold a minutes silence after such heart touching stories? not really practical.

What a horrible situation for the family...... :(
By MK Chris
I don't really know what my opinion on this is... I can see your point, but at the same time lots of news programmes have the serious news bit, the entertainment news bit and then the sport. On the show they have to condense all that into a couple of minutes. What if the sport had immediately followed that story, would that be inappropriate?

By the way I agree, an incredibly sad story. I should imagine few people have ever gone through the emotional extremes that the father of that child must be going through.
By Munki Bhoy
At 25 weeks, I'm still hoping the kid pulls through. I know modern science is great and all that, but that's still incredibly premature.
By Nicola_Red
I agree that I'm not sure what the alternative is. I know 6Music have a separate 'music news' section in every bulletin, done the way R1 do sport, I'm not sure how that would go down on R1. Or is there still entertainment news in Newsbeat at lunchtime? Surely stuff like this could wait til then.
By Johnny 1989
Topher wrote:I don't really know what my opinion on this is... I can see your point, but at the same time lots of news programmes have the serious news bit, the entertainment news bit and then the sport. On the show they have to condense all that into a couple of minutes. What if the sport had immediately followed that story, would that be inappropriate?

By the way I agree, an incredibly sad story. I should imagine few people have ever gone through the emotional extremes that the father of that child must be going through.

It is a really sad story, I read it in the Metro this morning & just hope the baby pulls through.

Regarding the jarring of new, it's difficult to say really alot of news does unfortunately jarr from time to time. However how about having the "Entertainment" news after the sport like they do on 6 Music, they have the news bulletin followed by sport & then 6 Music news all in the same bulletin, certainly works well on there & could possibly be done on Radio1, anyone else agree?
By unclejoesmintballs
nicola_red wrote:I agree that I'm not sure what the alternative is. I know 6Music have a separate 'music news' section in every bulletin, done the way R1 do sport, I'm not sure how that would go down on R1. Or is there still entertainment news in Newsbeat at lunchtime? Surely stuff like this could wait til then.

i agree that it could have been delt with in a more sensative nature, but they are simply playing the numbers with chris having the biggest show on radio they are able to reach a larger audiance so try to cram as much in as possible
By Quincy
i do think its quite shameless how on newsbeat they pass off what guests and such radio 1 have in the next few weeks as news.
By chrysostom
As the audience is so wide reaching, the news values of different sections of societies are wide reaching, and this means that there needs to be enough in the news to keep everybody happy.

As (primarily) a music station, and to promote forthcoming features it is in the interest of radio one to include these type of stories, but to keep them out of the key points of the news. Also, today was a slow news day with only 2 new worthy stories.
By Yudster
Munki Bhoy wrote:At 25 weeks, I'm still hoping the kid pulls through. I know modern science is great and all that, but that's still incredibly premature.

They had 48 hours to administer steroids to develop the baby's lungs quickly, and apparently the birth weight was over 2lb. The poor little sausage has a chance, that's a good weight for that gestation.
By Johnny 1989
chrysostom wrote:As the audience is so wide reaching, the news values of different sections of societies are wide reaching, and this means that there needs to be enough in the news to keep everybody happy.

As (primarily) a music station, and to promote forthcoming features it is in the interest of radio one to include these type of stories, but to keep them out of the key points of the news. Also, today was a slow news day with only 2 new worthy stories.

I think this was probably the case, it has happened before unfortunately but sometimes unavoidable. I imagine had another company in the UK gone into Admin today (which is, rather worryingly, getting to the point where it's becoming an daily announcement) then they would have sandwiched in that story between the two.

Thursday is up

The show is now being streamed on video on the Glo[…]