Off-topic chat. May contain offensive language or images.
By The Deadly
Bruvva wrote:*shrugs*

You know what, I wouldn't actually disagree with most of what you said there but why you evidently care so much is a bit of a mystery.

Because I love football and talking about football. I don't exclusively hate Liverpool and it certainly isn't anything personal against you. I just enjoy the conversation.
By Bruvva
Oh he's going, let's face it, and I think should Arsenal up their bid to 50 odd million he'll go there. I suspect the 40 million plus 1 bid rubbed people up the wrong way, it was a little arrogant of Arsenal to put it mildly.

As for the CL thing, it's a face saving exercise - you and I know that Liverpool won't get 4th this season but the people who run the club have to SAY they think they will otherwise there will be RUCTIONS and QUESTIONS WILL BE ASKED.
By chrysostom
If his release clause was £40m, why would Arsenal bid £40.25m?

Just to make it a nice round number?

That's still £250k of unnecessary expense.
By The Deadly
I really think £40million is extremely generous for a player with his baggage. Any other club in the world would have jumped at the chance to sell at that price.
By chrysostom
Well, with Arsenal drawing Fenerbache in the Champion's league qualifier - we may not even have the European status to draw Suarez to the club by the end of the window.
By The Deadly
chrysostom wrote:Well, with Arsenal drawing Fenerbache in the Champion's league qualifier - we may not even have the European status to draw Suarez to the club by the end of the window.

Fenerbache won't be a huge stumbling block for Arsenal. The current squad you have should be able to dispose of them. The team will have to watch the video of the Bayern Munich away leg from last season to draw inspiration. That was one of the best away European performances from any team for some time.
By Bruvva
You do have to wonder what the hell the point of that clause was if it isn't, as seems to be the case, an actual release clause. If it's a "you have to tell the player about the bid" clause then it's pointless as he'd already been told about it.

*shrugs*

Ah well, the conference starts this weekend.
By chrysostom
Christian Purslow wrote:“I also suspect Arsenal are unhappy because they’re a club who do their business extremely properly and professionally and they will have been made aware by intermediaries acting for the player that he thought such a clause existed.

“They will have done the right thing which is make a written offer to Liverpool. They may have spent a lot of time thinking if they were to make an offer at that level they would be securing a player. This is not something one does on a whim. I suspect Arsenal have been planning Luis Suarez as their main signing for some time and to discover such a clause is not valid and doesn’t work runs the risk of seriously wasting their time as well.”

The agent seems to have really played this one badly.
By The Deadly
Reading by all accounts did very well against Bolton today. According to reports we bossed the game and were unlucky not to win. Early signs are encouraging.
By Bruvva
charlalottie wrote:Watford are twats.

I distrust anything within a good ten miles of Watford, 'tis a strange place.

And Kidderminster Harriers won, so yay.
By Yudster
We scraped a 1 - 0 at home against Port Vale. We need to be able to score more goals.
By Bruvva
chrysostom wrote:Got tickets to the second leg of the Arsenal Champion's league playoff. Nervous already.

Ah, you'll be fine.

Anyway, as a diversion - worst game of football people have ever been to see?

Me - Liverpool 1 Ipswich Town 0 in the 93/94 season. Early April, nothing to play for from Liverpool's perspective, Ipswich battling to avoid relegation so fielded a stultifying 9-0-1 formation with Chris Kiwomya up front on his own. It was an 11:30 AM kick off due to the Grand National later that day and not one single soul could be bothered to make any noise, it was so quiet that Bruce Grobbelaar came to the kop end during the first half to try and whip us into a frenzy (he was on the bench, David James was in goal) and failed abysmally.

Julian Dicks scored the winner from a penalty.
Last edited by Bruvva on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
By chrysostom
Utd - Arsenal in the FA cup 2011.

Ferguson fielded 7 defenders (Evra, Brown, Vidic, Smalling, Fabio, Rafael & O'Shea) plus Darren Gibson, Rooney and Hernandez.

We kept the ball, but did nothing with it. United countered for the whole game.

Oh, and Denilson played. Good lord.
By The Deadly
Worst game in terms of how awful the team I supported were is Reading 0 Port Vale 3 1997/1998 season. This was the last straw for a lot of Reading fans and we went mental at the end of the game. Every side of the ground poured onto the pitch at the end of the game and protested. It ended up with chairman John Madjeski commandeering a megaphone and addressing 6000 angry people. He said he wouldn't back down to mob rule and that the manager would not be sacked. The manager was sacked 2 hours later.

Worst game in terms of quality was an England v Uraguay friendly during the early to mid 90's. I forget the exact year.
By Bruvva
Well I chuckled.
By The Deadly
Luis Suarez wants to stay at Liverpool now. Even the most staunch Liverpool fan has to admit this situation is now farcical.
By Bruvva
The best summing up of the Suarez situation I've read is this :

"Like crawling back to the wife after you just realised the supermodel was winking at the bloke behind you and you've got no chance of a date. "

Still think he'll go if Arsenal up their offer but, as it stands, he's staying.
By flyingbadger
Bruvva wrote:Well I chuckled.

That is pretty funny.

The guy who wrote the piece wrote:Upon his return to these shores it turned out he’d be quite happy to sign for trophy-dodging Champions League warm up act, Arsenal. Or Real Madrid. Or anyone in the Champions League. Or anyone at all that wasn’t Liverpool. Or none of those, some of those, all of those, or * knows.

^
My favourite bit.
By Bruvva
As it's England v the skirt wearing haggis botherers tonight, I thought I'd post THIS goal from the U21s last night.

By dimtimjim
charlalottie wrote:Well Robbie Savage is lovely...

I know. I think its the hair...

Shows are up

And yes this is the original Uglybob, I am sure t[…]