The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By LordMonkcheese
I know there are many comments regarding the adverts kind of spoiling the flow of the show, and I definitely echo those feelings. Some of the ads though are truly awful, so much so that I've taken to muting certain ones whenever they come on (silence is preferable to listening to that bilge!!!)

So what are your worst ads?
For me, it's the following:

- Ford Transit, where each line is voiced by an additional person resulting in a cacophony of noise by the end of it. Sounds like something the work experience kid would come up with rather than a professional company.
- Coca Cola (zero sugar?) where the ad is seemingly supposed to be conversational but the girl shoehorns in the full name of the drink twice in a completely contrived manner (and I can't remember the actual name!)
- Volvo, where a faux-Swedish woman talks about a Volvo being "the ultimate in <something or other>" (I've blocked it out of my mind once again)
By Nicola_Red
Urgh, that Swedish car one is grim! It's "the ultimate feeling of completeness". I'm not even sure if completeness is a word but it gives me the dry heaves either way. It's actually a cut down audio version of a TV ad, and in the TV version she says a bit more and it makes more sense. The way the radio one is edited makes it sound like she's sexually attracted to the car.

Other bugbears:

PPI companies - their ads are horrible and cringey, and I hate the whole principle cos you can just download and fill in a template form off of moneysaving expert and claim your PPI back, which I did. They are nasty money-grabbers.

Subway - I'm not sure if they have one running at the moment but there was one a while ago that was like "the offer's so good I'm gonna faint" "Oh my GOODNESSS, Nick's fainted!!" SHUT UP IT'S A SANDWICH

There is one that I'm sure we only hear on the Manchester FM feed for a car company called Fords of Winsford that is terrible - I kind of feel bad for them cos they've given it a good old try, but they've obviously got employees to 'act' in the ad rather than hire actual actors, and they sound so stilted and fake. Ugh.

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now. I may add more when I'm listening tomorrow...
By rocka23
I agree the Coke advert is the worst one by quite a way, I cringe when it comes on as it's just not quite ridiculous enough for you to believe it's laughing at itself.

The only other ones that really grind my gears are the short term loans with the ridiculous interest rates, they shouldn't be allowed an advertising budget and should only be made available through the Citizens advise, hate them even more if they have a catchy advert.
By Topher
You people spend too long listening to adverts... I switch over when the adverts are on and switch back a few minutes later.

rocka23 wrote:The only other ones that really grind my gears are the short term loans with the ridiculous interest rates, they shouldn't be allowed an advertising budget and should only be made available through the Citizens advise, hate them even more if they have a catchy advert.

I agree with that, it's unforgivable exploitation.
I only really listen live when getting ready for work. Most of the time when I do turn on the radio, It's adverts. The rest of the time It's a song that leads into the ad's. Commercial radio is rubbish in how often they feel the need to try and flog us stuff. I am certainly a BBC child. Anyway:
The Ford transit van is for the same reason as LordMonkcheese and the Amigo loans because they are crap on every level, So clearly last minute replacements for actual actors. It's like hearing a group of people trained by Rob DJ. :-)
By Tunster
McDonalds! Sheeeeesh. If the "even if you're nat, not" one from a while ago grinded my gears; the latest one with the guys trying to reboot a computer and assuming because he hasn't had a McDonalds breakfast; will fail to function.

At least bring us back a clever campaign like "I'm lovin' it" that isn't at least patronising.

I can just turn my eyes off when the ads come on. An ad-free Moyles show will be amazing one day if the BBC ever pick him up again.
By Nicola_Red
slaphead1982 wrote:Amigo loans because they are crap on every level, So clearly last minute replacements for actual actors. It's like hearing a group of people trained by Rob DJ. :-)

Oh yeah! I forgot about those. There's one where the woman is putting on a Brummie accent and it's SO BAD.
By Topher
You folks seem to be under the impression that the people who do radio adverts should be top grade actors? I'm sure sometimes they pay a packet to a famous name, but generally the standard is going to be shit isn't it - also it's hardly Oscar standard writing. Why should the actors have been drafted in at short notice just because they're shit? Shit actors are going to be the ones who get the jobs in radio adverts, surely?

Trigger wrote:Why not do some of his own comedy ads again? Mix them in with real ones. I think that would be really clever.

I think it's very likely, for all the bluster about being able to do pretty much whatever he likes, that he's not allowed to do that because it would undermine the people who pay for the station to run.
Topher wrote:You folks seem to be under the impression that the people who do radio adverts should be top grade actors? I'm sure sometimes they pay a packet to a famous name, but generally the standard is going to be shit isn't it - also it's hardly Oscar standard writing.

A few big names right off the bat: David Thewlis (eBay), Ryan Reynolds (BT), Jim Broadbent (can't remember!).

It's odd to think you can have award-winning actors doing some adverts and what appears to be the work experience kid doing others!!!
By Topher
Right, but there are recognisable names who presumably get paid a lot to do adverts and then there are bottom-of-the-rung actors for whom radio adverts must basically be their job - and let's face it, those people aren't going to be the greatest, are they?
It isn't a hard and fast rule, but generally if a big name is doing a radio ad, they'll also be doing the TV campaign as in all in one sort of thing. BT haven't got Ryan Reynolds just for their radio ads have they? The ones with the utterly naff actors are usually for companies you never see on tv advertising during Corrie or whatever.

That said my favourite is Selco - where the trade go - as I end up singing that multiple times a day around the office.
Worst ad? Any set behind the scenes of an advert voiceover session, so lazy. And that crap contrived CocaCola zero sugar one, obviously.

Also has anybody noticed that the timings are screwed up on the ads on the app stream? You hear a microsecond of one ad before it cuts to the one for your region/whatever.
By popmonkey
I was in London a month or so ago, and listening to the app, and every ad break was filled with the same ad for the Global Academy. It was terrible.

The Coke one is almost like an advert that a team on The Apprentice would make, but the ones that bug me the most are those which have about 20 seconds of terms and conditions afterwards, which make me feel that radio wasnt the best medium for that type of ad.
Not a current one, but that car advert back in the summer - "This one totally goes with my outfit!" "I love it! Who's the designer?"

I can't even remember who made it(Ford? Mitsubishi? I've blocked it out of my mind) but it used to infuriate me. It sounded like a really crap TOWIE audition, and it seemed to get played constantly.
Car crash more like.
The Volvo one is a bit cringey, yeah - it sounds like 70s/80s/90s TV ads used to look, if that makes any sense. The previous Volvo ad with the acoustic guitar playing sounded cheesy too.
What interests me about the recent Volvo ads is the pronunciation of the Volvo name, with the exaggerated L. I don't know if that's the true Swedish pronunciation of the name and I've been missing it somehow, but as someone who's always been a Volvo fan and never heard it pronounced like that, it sounds strange.

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]