The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
JayE wrote:There's a difference between taking jabs at someone on air (which Moyles did a lot over the years) and talking to people who work around you as if they're beneath you. This also was an off air incident.

Quite and remember the Nolan interview he said he could've been a bit nicer before and therefore he's now 'bouncing around the building saying hello to everybody'.

23:00 in approx

Unless it was intended as a joke it's pretty poor from him. I'd almost prefer him to have said 'F**k off I'm busy' which you can put down to a bad mood than get Pippa to get rid of 'the interruption'.
We don't know the context but on the surface it sounds quite poor. We do know that JH was making comments about comedy dave when he was shifted to the weekend breakfast slot so moyles might have been annoyed at that especially if they were asking for him to record something.
Evs wrote:Pretty horrible to hear that. Sounds like exactly the sort of thing he would say on-air and you would assume a joke but not in the office. Hopefully it was tongue in cheek but who knows?

You're forgetting that him & Dave used to do this joke at Radio 1 all the time. I don't think it's massively funny or fair but it's nothing new and as I understand it, it's always been a joke
After that "sack Chris Moyles to save 6Music" debacle, I can't see 6 taking him on. They must know the majority of their listeners would hate him. I suspect his music taste just isn't obscure enough to be good on a show on that station, although I'd like to be proved wrong. 5Live I dunno - would he want to do talk radio?...
Is there any radio station that would be a good fit for Chris right now? Possibly Absolute or Virgin but if he wants breakfast then it’s a no go, and not everyone can get Virgin. Maybe a Radio 2 slot in ten years’ time.
To me it's symbolic of the BBC's problem.

BBC R1 is for younger people
BBC R2 is for older people
BBC R6 is very niche

There's nothing mainstream for the (roughly) 30-45 group. Some cling on to R1 and some progress to R2 ahead of time.
Evs wrote:To me it's symbolic of the BBC's problem.

BBC R1 is for younger people
BBC R2 is for older people
BBC R6 is very niche

There's nothing mainstream for the (roughly) 30-45 group. Some cling on to R1 and some progress to R2 ahead of time.

Yeah, that's the concept of a Radio 1.5 that has been mooted ever since the purge of old Radio 1 DJs like Simon Bates, DLT, Bruno Brookes, etc. by Matthew Bannister in the early 1990s. The BBC were supposed to let commercial radio do that but I don't think it's ever really happened. AFAIK they're not as attractive in advertising terms as younger audiences.

At one point I would have said Capital FM but in recent years that too has gotten younger and younger. Imagine someone like Chris Tarrant presenting breakfast now for as long as he did.

Now we've come around to this problem again because we have people who used to listen to Radio 1, up until maybe 5-10 years ago or up until Chris left, or are still listening because it's the least worst option. There isn't really a station for them yet.
Evs wrote:...BBC R2 is for older people...

...There's nothing mainstream for the (roughly) 30-45 group. Some cling on to R1 and some progress to R2 ahead of time.

I don't really think that 30-45 is ahead of time for Radio 2 - well in some shows (Desmond Carrington), it clearly is, but there are a wide range of shows and shows like Simon Mayo's are perfect for that age range I think.
Nicola_Red wrote:After that "sack Chris Moyles to save 6Music" debacle, I can't see 6 taking him on. They must know the majority of their listeners would hate him. I suspect his music taste just isn't obscure enough to be good on a show on that station, although I'd like to be proved wrong. 5Live I dunno - would he want to do talk radio?...

Surely the first half hour of the show is evidential that he could do talk radio? Especially with a team around him like the R1 days, and to a degree now. TCMS now on RX really doesn't have much music anyway. Then include the ad breaks; it's mostly talk.

Chris Moyles on R5L after the breakfast show? Definitely would suit him if R2 wasn't calling.
2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]