The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Most of that reaction was to the phrase in the press release that Radio X will be "the first truly male-focused, fully national music and entertainment brand for 25-44 year olds", with many people misunderstanding this as Radio X being a station for men only and insinuating that there are enough radio stations targeted at this demographic already.

The truth is that actually most radio stations, particularly the ones owned by Global, are female-focused - or at the least, female-skewed in terms of audience figures. Heart, Smooth, Capital, Gold, even Classical FM. You can check out the stats on here: http://www.thisisglobal.com/radio/

It's badly worded, and it doesn't help that they got Johnny Vaughan to say "Great Britain needs great banter", but it's not what people are trying to make it out to be.

VirginMediaPhil wrote:Most of that reaction was to the phrase in the press release that Radio X will be "the first truly male-focused, fully national music and entertainment brand for 25-44 year olds", with many people misunderstanding this as Radio X being a station for men only and insinuating that there are enough radio stations targeted at this demographic already.

It's badly worded, and it doesn't help that they got Johnny Vaughan to say "Great Britain needs great banter", but it's not what people are trying to make it out to be.

Yeah, I would agree they are suffering from some poor choices of branding and phrasing. 'Male focused' does make it sound like it will all be ladz bantz (beer, birds, football weyy). I can't see Moyles doing that - it isn't 1999 anymore. If he was pushed towards that type of show, I probably wouldn't last long as a listener! I would never listen to Johnny Yawn, so I don't care what he does.

It's true that people don't like change - I tried my best to embrace it when Moyles left. I dread to think what kind of life these people have - how do they cope with change in real life things that actually matter, like jobs and relationships? I sometimes wonder if a lot of online ranting is in fact frustration at big things being vented at little things. But that's a different discussion.
G-Sizzle wrote:It does sound like the want TalkSport with music. Is there really a market for that!?

Well Talksport is doing better than ever so I'd argue yes. I don't think it's going to be sport driven in any way mind. To me, the fact that the DJs named so far are all guys is irrelevant - I'm not inclined to switch off just because Sara Cox is on and I'm sure girls are the same when they here someone like Scott, Greg, Chris, Chappers or whoever. People need to move away from boys vs girls and just enjoy these shows for what they are.
Tico987 wrote:To me, the fact that the DJs named so far are all guys is irrelevant - I'm not inclined to switch off just because Sara Cox is on and I'm sure girls are the same when they here someone like Scott, Greg, Chris, Chappers or whoever. People need to move away from boys vs girls and just enjoy these shows for what they are.

It's irrelevant to me in practice, yeah. I would worry in theory if they were actively discriminating against women as presenters, artists or listeners - but I highly doubt that's the case, and as I said, if the shows were all 'lads lads lads' I'd quickly move away from the station, Moyles or no Moyles. If I'm looking for a presenter to listen to, their style, topics of chat, friendliness on air, features and technical ability are the things that matter to me, not their gender.
Nicola_Red wrote:
Tico987 wrote:To me, the fact that the DJs named so far are all guys is irrelevant - I'm not inclined to switch off just because Sara Cox is on and I'm sure girls are the same when they here someone like Scott, Greg, Chris, Chappers or whoever. People need to move away from boys vs girls and just enjoy these shows for what they are.

It's irrelevant to me in practice, yeah. I would worry in theory if they were actively discriminating against women as presenters, artists or listeners - but I highly doubt that's the case, and as I said, if the shows were all 'lads lads lads' I'd quickly move away from the station, Moyles or no Moyles. If I'm looking for a presenter to listen to, their style, topics of chat, friendliness on air, features and technical ability are the things that matter to me, not their gender.

It's possibly easy for me to say as a guy, but I can't see why they'd actively not employ any females to their roster. I'm struggling to think of any experienced female DJs who are out of work - unless they're doing the mothering job a la Ferne Cotton. The likes of Jo Whiley, Lauren Laverne, Sara Cox are all in work. The only one I can think of who would appeal to the 30 something audience would be Edith Bowman but I'm sure she does 6Music and the odd TV venture. I'm bound to be forgetting some, so forgive me for doing so. In any case, there may be some local DJs that they're picking up for the vacant slots that haven't been announced yet.

I think the era of "lad" is long gone. Moyles gradually moved away from that as the breakfast show went on. Vernon Kaye has never really been like that, he's been a family man for vast majority of his career, Jonny Vaughan is about 83 and I've never really known Ricky Wilson to be the type who is in tabloids for being a "lad" either.

I think it'll just be a good fun radio station with some relatively likable personalities. I never really got the hate for Vaughan - and quite like the stuff he did on the Big Breakfast.

It's a case of see what happens, but I'm really excited that Chris is going to be back - even though it's going to be impossible for me to listen live due to where I live and lack of digital radio in my old banger. Will just listen to catch up podcast instead.
the schedule from what I can make out is as follows.
06:30. The Chris Moyles Show.
10:00. Vernon Kay.
13:00. Dan O'Connell
16:00. Johnny Vaughan
19:00. Phil Clifton.

other djs on the station include
Weekend Breakfast. Jon Holmes.
Weekend (I imagine mid morning) Ricky Wilson.
Lliana Bird
Jo Good.
John Kennedy.
I also imagine that they may have Marvin Hulmes (ex JLS guy) too be on the network presenting the chart show. (the other one thats networked to about 200 stations)

the playlist will include Florence & The Machine, Mumford & Sons, Blur, Arctic Monkeys, Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds, The Maccabees, Radiohead, Nirvana, The Smiths, Royal Blood, Kasabian, Catfish & The Bottlemen and Kings of Leon.
do we know what kind of licence radio x have got. how many hours of local coverage do they have too produce in manchester and london??? maybe that is in the 10pm - 6:30am slot on each station.

when is the news??? we may not have a handover to vernon. or a closing theme song as local radio likes to have the news at the top of the hour. radio 2 is at the top of the hour as well isnt it???

intresting something I read from digital spys forums. talking that we can give chris 10 years on radio x and then give him steve wrights gig on radio 2 as steve will be retireing and chris will be In his 50s by then.
I just reinstalled the Tune In Radio app on my phone in eager anticipation of the 21st.
I've got nothing but high hopes for Chris' new foray and look forward to the new era of Moyles! Listening to the RSS feeds every day for the past three years have made me an even bigger fan of Dom's contribution. Yes, Dave, Aled and for me Rachel will be missed (I love Rachel's mwam, mwam, mwam, Carrie, not so much, I prefer Juliet. I liked Josselyn a lot too.) I'm really optimistic that it will work. And Sandy's back, hopefully Richard and Co... I prefer to think some change is ultimately good.

And to pile on to ku5b's post above, I too can't thank those behind the archival efforts enough! The RSS shows that you have been giving us have been truly golden over the past three years and I greatly appreciate your efforts!

This is going to be epic!
The 21st can't come quick enough! I think Im ready for it, there's been enough time to mourn, listen to the shows on the feed, reminisce about the good times and accept the fact that I'm no longer a target for radio 1.

I'm looking forward to the new direction of Chris. I love the 'old' show with the whole team......but they would be on a hiding to nothing trying to replicate it exactly. I do think it's a clever move, however much of it forced, to have a sprinkle of it-Dom, Pippa, Sandy etc. enough to keep a bit of continuity but it also leaves enough wiggle room for new features and personalities.

My hopes are that Dom is now in the Dave role and that Chris is allowed enough control to make it his own show and not a generic commercial radio show. Time will tell!!
wireman2004 wrote:when is the news??? we may not have a handover to vernon. or a closing theme song as local radio likes to have the news at the top of the hour. radio 2 is at the top of the hour as well isnt it???

Moyles has said that he has full control over his show so its not out of the realm of possibility that he will have 'demanded' a handover sorta thing.
Darn it, I've only got as far as December 2006 on the replays. I doubt I can get to the end in time for Sept 21st :)

I wish you could get a recording of Zane's Apple Radio show, I think I was as sad when Zane left as I was when Chris did... they were the two DJs I loved. Huw is fun but not quite the same thing.
I must say the comments on chris' Instagram demonstrate just how little people know about what's happening. It's all, what time does it start? Is it on digital radio? Will Dave be with you? Without this forum, people are just scrabbling about for information.
Nicola_Red wrote:I must say the comments on chris' Instagram demonstrate just how little people know about what's happening. It's all, what time does it start? Is it on digital radio? Will Dave be with you? Without this forum, people are just scrabbling about for information.

I would have thought by now there'd be a 'Radio X' website, with all the information you need to know. Then Chris could just add that to the end of each post he makes.

It's just a holding page at the moment though. Missed opportunity I think. http://www.radiox.co.uk/

Thank you both!!