The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
When listening in my car yesterday I switched over as I couldn't bear the 'That was this song, next is this song' and repeat. The problem with Vernon is I don't think he's capable of long links. They should have put Johnny Vaughan on instead.
He eventually was OK on R1 with the team but not sure if they can be bothered for 3 days trying to get him to change his style

Although they turned to Sara Cox at one point and she was miles better

Probably have been best just to put some cover on and give the team the 3 days off.
I expect JV/Chris would have refused to cover. Jon Holmes would have been a good option again. Perhaps it was too short notice, or Chris got his nose out of joint about Jon's sly digs last time.

I haven't listened to Vernon's "highlights" shows yet. Don't think I'll bother.
slaphead1982 wrote:
They could try Ellis & James from the Saturday morning show.

That's a good shout, especially as Dave produces their show too. Although as they only do a Saturday slot, potentially they have other priorities during the week.
Frothy Bevvy wrote:I expect JV/Chris would have refused to cover. Jon Holmes would have been a good option again. Perhaps it was too short notice, or Chris got his nose out of joint about Jon's sly digs last time.

I don't think so
it was always like this on R1... Vernon covered when just Chris was off, Scott when the team was off
so I imagine it will be the same with Vernon/Jon
Frothy Bevvy wrote:I expect JV/Chris would have refused to cover. Jon Holmes would have been a good option again. Perhaps it was too short notice, or Chris got his nose out of joint about Jon's sly digs last time.

Looks like Jon Holmes might well be off...

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2016/03/jon-hol ... ce=twitter

Nothing confirmed about continuing with Radio X but like when Vaughan left talkSPORT it seems unlikely he'd keep doing the weekend breakfast show.
Moyles was pretty complimentary about Jon Holmes yesterday. I do like what I've heard of his show actually.
Topher wrote:Moyles was pretty complimentary about Jon Holmes yesterday. I do like what I've heard of his show actually.

Jon is great and is a massive contrast to Chris as well. He's very much reliant on features (mostly pre-written or pre-recorded), where Chris has 3 features a week that I can think of. There's a lot more music, but I don't mind because what you do hear is funny & he puts funny bits in the segues that you don't hear on the podcast (eg. mashing up Radio 4 clips to make them say rude things).

For people saying Vernon should stick to Chris' format, he'd be an idiot to try and do exactly what Chris does. Sure he kept the jingles but it's always better to do your own thing rather than imitate. I'm sure if he did 2 weeks he'd get into it more but he's not programmed to talk as much as Chris because his show is very music heavy. It takes time to adapt and I thought he did very well.

On a side note I thought this Tuesday's show was poor, which is a shame really as they've had a few really funny shows recently.
"Genius" is thrown around too much these days - he's good, he's very much not a genius. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.
As is banter apparently. Don't get to listen much but really appreciate the Radio X clips.

The irony of Chris hating that word is that I heard him say 'I swear blind' which grates on me slightly. Same as 'I swear down'.

He's still got it, it never went away, just a shame we don't have any dedicated highlight clippers on here these days, to uphold the archive.
I know - and I wish I could dedicate the same amount of time to clipping that I used to. I have a constant feeling that I'd like to catch up and do more, but I have a husband and a more demanding job these days, and I find that I don't even remember what's worth clipping and when it occurred - old age catching up with me! But it is always on my to-do list, so eventually I will try to do some more.
I was surprised and slightly disappointed Chris seemed to peddle the "we're not allowed to celebrate St. George's Day" line this morning - I was half asleep, so I may need to listen back, but if I heard what I thought I heard it's patently not true and surprising he'd say that, given how much he dislikes a lot of what the tabloids say.
Harry Briggs wrote:Afternoon all, just listening to Chris this morning with Steve Allen. They went to the 7am news at 7.08am. I was just wondering if anyone can remember the latest Chris as ever gone to a news bulletin? Now he's made a career of it ;)

also not sure if Chris and Dom have done the "Running late.. but sounding great" line that Chris and Dave used to do on the new show so far, but they did it yesterday.
Is Chris off over Easter? He jokingly said to someone the other day to hurry up as he was "going on holiday in 2 weeks". Anyway the point is, if he is, does anyone know who is covering? Guess it's unlikely to be Jon Holmes again and probably not Vernon if the team are off too.
When Chris mentioned that it was five years since the 52 hour marathon show I was thinking Dave would be mentioned, If only as a fleeting comment. NOTHING, Even Dom said it was all about Chris.
It's so depressing that nobody can say Mr. "Comedy" Dave was ever a part of the Radio 1 era of Chris Moyles 15 (?) years there.

Shows are up

The show is now being streamed on video on the Glo[…]