The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
Much as I hate to publicise anything The Sun does, this is worth a read - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... radio.html
foot-loose wrote:Am I not good enough for you?! You've changed.

I still love you.
DevilsDuck wrote:Well...when it comes down to him or Grimmy, I think even the media prefer Mr M.

I think sadly a majority of 'fans' are never happy. Yesterday I saw a pic of Grimmy that Scott Mills had posted on Instagram and somehow the comments had become a discussion about Moyles' return. I swear all the people who used to comment "we need you back on radio!" on Moyles' every photo are now commenting "he should be back on Radio 1!" I get that a commercial station isn't some people's ideal listen but why does Moyles' success have to be at the expense of Grimmy? They are different audiences and should be able to co-exist happily. i never understood this 'one or the other' mentality. It doesn't make any sense.
But they will always be compared because Grimmy replaced Chris. The media will make it into a ratings battle (as will Radio X)

I cant see Chris winning a ratings battle, but he will probably take a few hundred thousand of Grimmy...I would have thought he will take as much off Chris Evans though
Johnny 1989 wrote:Quite funny reading XFM's facebook page regarding the news, some happy but a lot not ranting about it and how they're going to Planet Rock & Absolute because "that prick Moyles & those other three muppets know nothing about music" & "Global will turn the station into a pop one".

Not been funny but I highly doubt the station will change much music wise (Capital FM is the nationwide pop one now) and how do you know they're gonna be rubbish? Typical narrow minded "listener" who have an outdate view of Moyles from about 2001, but who cares eh? He's back at last :)

My twitter timeline this morning and yesterday has been full of people who are seemingly furious about the changes at Xfm. I don't know how it works outside of Manchester, but it seems all of the local presenters are quitting the station and people don't seem happen, the chances of them giving the new line up a chance seem slim to none.

I'm sure they expected a backlash, but its been much larger than I myself expected. I'm made up about the news, but i'm a tiny minority compared to the masses i'm reading.
Yeah, I know. I like Grimmy and will be sad to stop listening, but I'm the type of listener R1 were trying to get rid of anyway! I'll still listen to Scott in the afternoons. But yep, the ratings will be interesting.

I honestly dunno how anyone would be a genuine fan of XFM Manchester as opposed to just a casual listener. Their DJs have no personality and as I mentioned before, the repetitive playlist is enough to drive anyone mad.
Nicola_Red wrote:I honestly dunno how anyone would be a genuine fan of XFM Manchester as opposed to just a casual listener. Their DJs have no personality and as I mentioned before, the repetitive playlist is enough to drive anyone mad.

I agree entirely, I never understood the attraction. The music as you say is far too repetitive, and the presenters, especially in the morning were just generally irritating, i'm amazed by the amount of passion it seems to have stirred up.
Topher wrote:
Yudster wrote:Much as I hate to publicise anything The Sun does, this is worth a read - http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... radio.html

I just.... I just don't think I can click it.

It's not that, I just don't want to give them the traffic. They are an odious organisation, no thanks.
Yeah, I'm really hoping they will expand the playlist a bit. The 'indie/rock/alternative' brief is pretty wide so there's just no need for the Foo Fighters every half hour (and not even pre-2005 Foos at that).
I only liked them pre-2004 really, but that's not the issue, they just seem to be the prime example of a band that the existing XFM seem to have latched on to and just play constantly. Royal Blood are another one, and they love High Flying Birds too. Even within the indie/alternative type genre, there's room for a whole lot more variety than they seem able to come up with, and I've never understood why. Assuming their target listener is a bit older than R1's, they could be playing some cracking indie tunes from the early 90s, and they just don't.
Nicola_Red wrote:I only liked them pre-2004 really, but that's not the issue, they just seem to be the prime example of a band that the existing XFM seem to have latched on to and just play constantly. Royal Blood are another one, and they love High Flying Birds too. Even within the indie/alternative type genre, there's room for a whole lot more variety than they seem able to come up with, and I've never understood why. Assuming their target listener is a bit older than R1's, they could be playing some cracking indie tunes from the early 90s, and they just don't.

Absolute Radio, whilst not the greatest in terms of presenting get their music pretty much spot on. Obviously Radio X will be skewed to the present day, but there's no reason they can't play great stuff from the early to mid 90s too as a bit of variety like Absolute.
Nicola_Red wrote:I only liked them pre-2004 really, but that's not the issue, they just seem to be the prime example of a band that the existing XFM seem to have latched on to and just play constantly. Royal Blood are another one, and they love High Flying Birds too. Even within the indie/alternative type genre, there's room for a whole lot more variety than they seem able to come up with, and I've never understood why. Assuming their target listener is a bit older than R1's, they could be playing some cracking indie tunes from the early 90s, and they just don't.

Good point, and for the age they're now aiming for, 90's indie/rock sounds perfect to me. I'd definitely listen to it for more than just Moyles in that case
I think XFM Manchester in its existing format is worse than R1 for repetition! I know R1 do have certain songs on very heavy rotation but it seems like they change what those songs are much more regularly. I doubt XFM have playlist meetings like we used to hear about from Aled. Or if they do, nobody is paying attention in them :)

I'm far too old for R1 too, but I like knowing what's in the charts so I don't intend to stop listening altogether. Apart from their tendency towards pranks which I just find cringeworthy, I think Scott and Chris Stark are the best presenters on the station now. I heard Christian O'Connell make a derogatory joke about Scott on Absolute a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe he would have the gall. Scott is ten times the broadcaster O'Connell will ever be.
Personally I've never been a fan of Scott's style, I found it way too scripted, but maybe that was because I'm used to Chris' off-the-cuff style.

He is an excellent broadcaster though and the fact he's still at Radio 1 is testament to that.

I still like Greg James though, sorry!

Thank you both!!