The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
I feel this is the beginning of the end [emoji17]. Took me a while to get used to him but now I think he's an integral part of the team. Will be interesting to see if they get anyone to replace him. If they don't, surely that'll signal the end. I'd love to see Comedy Dave come back but can't see that happening.
d000hg wrote:People came and went on the old show all the time. Maybe Dave just got an offer he couldn't refuse

via Tapatalk

Well yes, people left but it was a far bigger show, this is a relatively small team that Chris had seemingly had carte blanche over. Of course Juliette left very soon into breakfast and the show carried on for years but this is a different situation.

Dave leaving can't be looked at in isolation, we've had the less than stellar RAJARs, a change in management combined with a number of other staff changes both on and off air, and then the Popbitch story last week. Not a surprise that people might be reading more into it. I hope it's just a case of a great job offer at the right time but it's far from certain.

EDIT I've just seen Mike Walsh's tweet from earlier today...although his bio says exec prodcer so maybe unrelated but one of the replies suggests it is...

The way I read this is that it’s actually a promotion for Dave so in isolation may not mean anything for Radio X. Dave Berry who Dave used to produce on XFM breakfast is about to start work on Absolute so this may have influenced his decision.

I think Dave did get on with Chris et al, however if you ever listen to Elis and John (IMHO, the best show on X by quite some distance) he is far more relaxed in himself and it shows. Wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to poach them for Absolute, but that’s a different topic for a different forum. I think Dave had to play the game with Chris, as do most producers I guess. Wonder if Dave will be back on from Monday or not – he’s still on drive with Elis and John, but it’ll be interesting what Moyles has to say.

However if rumours are to be believed there are big changes in the air at X. From what Chris says on air and what has been reported elsewhere I think Chris’s contract is actually two years with a third as an option (hence all this negotiation chat). If they are to continue on to a third year, they need a strong voice to replace Dave otherwise it’s mainly the Chris and Dom show and Chris needs more to bounce off than that. Would never happen but if I was a controller I’d perhaps consider swapping Vaughn and Moyles in the schedule. Certainly seems there are big schedule changes afoot - Ricky Wilson has already been quietly dumped it seems.
deimantee1 wrote:Wow, this is so unexpected. I was convinced Dave very much LOVED working with Pipp, Dom and Chris. (

Executive Producer of the station

That would be a massive pay increase. It'd be hard to turn that down. Well done, Dave.
d000hg wrote:Cheers :) I'll have to start listening to VK this week... wonder if he has mentioned it or will just disappear without warning and the other DJs will mysteriously never mention it.

I think Radio X have one of those few DJs in Chris who will mention it whatever the company line. He's always been one to talk about things that are usually deemed too 'inside baseball' whether it's what's going on with the bosses or some anoraky technical thing.

Clearly though we are seeing a huge change at X, new boss Matt is clearly not hanging around the changes are coming thick and fast. I wonder what will happen are Global going to keep the faith or is it already trying to minimise their losses and get rid of the high earners and have it run on a shoestring.
Mmmm I don't particularly like the music playlist really I really only listen to it as Chris is on it. - I wish he could find a. Slot of a BBC national station - he would be good doing a zoo format show and also something more serious I think also he woild be good on LBC on a evening slot but I don't think that is something he would want to. Do !
Harry Briggs wrote:I think Chris will have to mention it when he comes back, along with Masterman and Ricky Wilson all leaving whilst he's been away. Radio X is slowly sinking IMO

did masterman actually leave?

I assumed it was a saturday show joke since all the tweets were the same
Thought it was a "he's gone for a wee" joke.

Clint Boon leaving suggests they aren't looking to return to xfm days. I really enjoy the channel, Ellis and John were a great find but it's clear they accept themselves as not "radio savvy" and lean on Dave for that. I'd imagine he doesn't have loads to do on Chris's show and although he's taken well to being a team member he is within his rights to think he's more than that.

Not worried about Chris just yet, he sounded croaky the morning after his "meeting" with Mike and Matt so hoping that means it went well.

Chris seemed to be defending Pippa from Toby earl on and pulled him in and put him in his place but I fully expect he'll take Vernon's spot.

Sorry I know that's a bit all over the place but wanted to respond with a positive light on the above impending doom! Haha

Show is up, and platinum: https://archive.org/dow[…]