The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By Candyman
Emmy wrote:
neilt0 wrote:Chris also makes the really important point that Great Renaming only seems to apply to how it is described on his show, and the rest of the BBC still call them podcasts. Make your mind up, or join the rest of the world in calling podcasts by their actual name.

This is the most nonsensical and puzzling thing about it all, and has yet to be explained properly. Why should your show be the only one to stop calling itself a podcast, when as far as I know, none of the other BBC shows are making that change in terminology? I don't listen to the Moyles podcast/free download because I generally hear all of the show every day, but I assume that Chris is now starting it by mentioning the term 'free download', whilst the very nice lady who comes on at the start of the 'Daily Bacon' (which I do download every episode of) is still thanking me for 'taking the time to download this BBC Radio 5live podcast'. Surely there should be one common term for a podcast/free download/Geoff throughout the BBC?

Agreed, utter nonsense, I listen to Danny Baker on Radio 5 on a saturday morning and his show mentions podcasts. For that matter all of Radio 5 mention podcasts, no mention of this Free Download crap. So waht does that say Radio 5 have more intelligent listeners who know what it means?!!
Podcasts and it will always be podcasts no matter what these Radio 1 assclowns say.
By MK Chris
Emmy wrote:
neilt0 wrote:Chris also makes the really important point that Great Renaming only seems to apply to how it is described on his show, and the rest of the BBC still call them podcasts. Make your mind up, or join the rest of the world in calling podcasts by their actual name.

This is the most nonsensical and puzzling thing about it all, and has yet to be explained properly. Why should your show be the only one to stop calling itself a podcast, when as far as I know, none of the other BBC shows are making that change in terminology? I don't listen to the Moyles podcast/free download because I generally hear all of the show every day, but I assume that Chris is now starting it by mentioning the term 'free download', whilst the very nice lady who comes on at the start of the 'Daily Bacon' (which I do download every episode of) is still thanking me for 'taking the time to download this BBC Radio 5live podcast'. Surely there should be one common term for a podcast/free download/Geoff throughout the BBC?

Maybe it's an editorial decision for the individual shows - like the complete non-story that was some BBC shows using BCE / CE instead of BC / AD, which resulted in The Daily Mail having an orgasm.

Basically it doesn't matter. It's a name. It has no bearing on the content of the show, or even the Geoff / Free Download / Podcast.
By Nicola_Red
I'm pleased to see other people adopting the use of 'the Geoff', and I agree that Dom would also approve. I'd like to propose that anywhere on this forum except sound & video requests (where it might cause confusion), the podcast/free download should henceforth be referred to as 'the Geoff' at all times.
By Wykey
Aled wrote:We did some producer labs last year where the producers of Radio 1 went out and meant our audience. We each had a couple of hours with three listeners. We then came back and discussed our findings. On the podcast front not one member of the public we met knew what a 'podcast' was.

:lol:

But presumably they knew all about 'free downloads', what they needed to use to listen to them, what they do, where to get them and the intricacies of using a computer and then a device upon which to listen to them in order to do so?

I absolutely do not believe that the people who would have the intelligence and know-how required to download and listen to a recording from the BBC website has no knowledge of what a podcast is.

Given that every single avenue of media they'd be exposed to - be it radio, newspaper, television, social media and libraries explain what they are, what they do and how to get them.

Podcast isn't a geeky term. It's the normal word that the entire world uses for what you're trying to re-brand a free download.

I'd also be tempted to widen your research a little, you seem to have found a hive of morons.
By Wykey
Aled wrote:ps I think the rise in numbers is due to many things on air attention, new name, easier labelling and ability to download month's worth not just one week so it might at worse a quarter of that number who are unique users

The problem is, the free downloads are in the podcast section.

So I'd suggest it being called a 'free download' has absolutely nothing to do with any increased numbers.

If anything, the numbers would have been higher had you only ever called them podcasts.

Instead of wasting time trying to fight against and re-name something that's been in common parlance for four or five years, if you'd spent five or ten minutes explaining what podcast means, what it is, and what it does, then the numbers would have been even bigger.

I apologise for maybe being surly, but I'm verging on catatonia at the moment.
By neilt0
Wykey wrote:I apologise for maybe being surly, but I'm verging on catatonia at the moment.

2005 ERA JINGLES/BEDS

Hi. I never realised there was a possibility of […]

Saturday show is up