The place where everyone hangs out, chats, gossips, and argues
By Blizzard
Wow, I never listened to Howard Stern before but I always knew Chris was a fan. When you hear back to 1980's and 1990's Stern stuff it is exactly the same as Chris. Even interviews with Howard from the 80's match the same style as Chris....."yeah we are meant to play about 8 songs an hour but we usually do 3".

I am listening now to the 1986 show where Howard Stern rang around loads of people to try and find out if a deal was being cut behind his back, and I could picture him as Chris doing the exact same thing.

So does anyone know if Chris ever went to Sirius to get a job ? As I remember some shows where Chris was at the studios. All the audio of Stern on Youtube really makes sense now why Chris had the style he had.
By JayE
Hoo hoo hoo! They're rippin me off Robin! No idea about Chris going to Sirius, he keeps saying he isn't doing radio anytime soon. My guess is no, but Sirius would be a great place for him to go as the majority of it's programming is uncensored.
By hdsport82
Blizzard wrote:I am listening now to the 1986 show where Howard Stern rang around loads of people to try and find out if a deal was being cut behind his back, and I could picture him as Chris doing the exact same thing.

If you can 'find/acquire' (ahem) the History of Howard Stern specials they did on Sirius (after settling his lawsuit with CBS over the old shows) they are an excellent listen especially the WNBC days with 'Pig Virus', Soupy Sales etc.

Agree there's definitely an influence there with Chris combined with some James Whale and Nick Abbot. The latter of course Chris used to ring in as a 'Scouse' character (I think it was when he was unemployed after being fired from somewhere...The Pulse perhaps?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7E5Lz6j-yM
By Blizzard
So Chris went to XFM and not Sirius in the end, shame, but I know XFM are good too.

It is a shame UK radio is not like the US, I can imagine Chris Moyles in a huge studio with lots of staff. It would be such a laugh, having IQ tests and his version of the wackpack. I know it would be a blatant rip off but why not steal from the best.
By JayE
Yeah, Howard is so great with his "The View" style radio show. Really setting the world on fire. How those 3 day work weeks going? They're rippin me off robin!
By Blizzard
JayE wrote:Yeah, Howard is so great with his "The View" style radio show. Really setting the world on fire. How those 3 day work weeks going? They're rippin me off robin!

Stern may not be as good as he used to be, due to changing to a family friendly format, but go back to 2011 and before and it was great. Pre-America Talent days and it was a top show.
By JayE
I've heard enough clips of Stern (Usually from Opie & Anthony) to know that he has always come across as a lying, hypocritical sack of shit. His show was incredibly overrated even in it's prime imo.
By Harry Briggs
Hi! Bit of an odd request but does anyone know anywhere I could get my hands on some Howard Stern shows? Never heard him before and sounds like the sort of radio show I would like! Thanks.
By MitchOnAStick
Select clips to look for (all on Youtube):

-- Gary's apology video
-- Scott The Engineer push-up challenge
-- Fred argues with his wife at the Rainbow Room
-- Jackie apologies to Nancy (+ fallout)
-- The SS Mund
-- Any time where they discuss a staff get-together over the weekend/holiday. Particularly Fred's bachelor party/Artie's house party/Robin's house party/Gary's wedding.
By JayE
I was never a fan of Howard, I personally never saw the appeal. But another radio show you should check out would be 'The Opie & Anthony Show' they were constantly getting accused of being Howard imitators but they were waaaaaay better.
By Tunster
MitchOnAStick wrote:Select clips to look for (all on Youtube):

-- Gary's apology video
-- Scott The Engineer push-up challenge
-- Fred argues with his wife at the Rainbow Room
-- Jackie apologies to Nancy (+ fallout)
-- The SS Mund
-- Any time where they discuss a staff get-together over the weekend/holiday. Particularly Fred's bachelor party/Artie's house party/Robin's house party/Gary's wedding.

I just watched the whole of the push-up challenge on YouTube (I didn't know they were doing TV-based radio back in 1998!) Definitely sense what influences Chris has based himself on. That "I know what response I want to get - I'll just crank it up until I get it" but be in control of a lot of people in one room.

It got very tense at one stage after the event. That feeling of being in the moment from the TCMS on R1 days is definitely not as a noticeable. He can't do that with the limited amount of people working on the show currently. That's why the main exec producer and any other extended members have to get involved.
By MitchOnAStick
JayE wrote:I was never a fan of Howard, I personally never saw the appeal. But another radio show you should check out would be 'The Opie & Anthony Show' they were constantly getting accused of being Howard imitators but they were waaaaaay better.

Give over; you kept that one quiet..

FWIW- never liked Opie and Anthony, although I'm alright with Opie and Jim Norton. Beyond Louis CK and Patrice O'Neal, or the ripping of Todd Pettingill, it did feel a lot like two guys trying to be Howard-lite. Certainly Howard pre-Sirius, at least. I get the criticisms - believe me, Hampton Howie can do one - but no one was as captivating as Howard at his best. Even O&A have admitted that outright.

Tunster: they've been doing TV even before then. The radio show on TV started in 1994, but if you want to go back further then the Channel 9 non-radio shows starting in 1990. A cult classic, those ones. And yes, I completely agree with the bigger show helping the cause. Even in the 90s, Stern had himself, Robin, Fred, Jackie, and Billy West in studio with Gary and Stuttering John hovering. That doesn't even include Scott, Tom Chiusano, and KC.

You never had the same cast in the same stories, a massive perk of Moyles' at R1 where any "storyline" could feature or exclude Carrie, Dom, Rachel, Aled, Joss, Rhys, Scott Mills or whoever was around. Right now, there is nothing on the show that doesn't have Pippa or Dave laughing all over it. Remember when the critics used to throw shade at the Moyles team for being sycophantic? It now actually does feel a little like that, like the team are just desperately keeping their master happy because they know he doesn't need to prove anything and can leave at any time. Dave, Aled and Rachel never gave Chris the 'respect/fear' that Dave M does. So the show just feels a bit like what the old show used to mock. But it doesn't help that there isn't an extra voice to rotate in there so that we don't have to hear all four people in every segment at all times. Changing it up segment to segment is a huge benefit sometimes.

But anyway, yeah, the usual. Sorry, being a little too negative.
By JayE
MitchOnAStick wrote:Give over; you kept that one quiet..

Oh, sirrrrrr! I like to be at least a little subtle..... *Insert Wink emoji here*

MitchOnAStick wrote:FWIW- never liked Opie and Anthony, although I'm alright with Opie and Jim Norton.

Oof, that's an unpopular opinion you have there. Anthony Cumia is probably the funniest entertainer I've ever listened to. Opie & Jim have no comedic chemistry together. As for the other stuff, I've listened to bits of Howard here and there but I see no similarity. Apart from the early years when they were still into the shock jock stuff. After that it just became a show where 3 guys hung out. Howard's show doesn't have that same feel.
By MitchOnAStick
Can't get past Anthony's beyond terrible opinions on politics. I don't dislike him but I don't particularly enjoy him either. It's Greg Gutfeld without the slither of likability.